From: gti4ever on
Hi,

I have a KMDF HID mini driver which creates a raw PDO. I have also install a
UMDF driver on top of that raw PDO. So far everything works ok but I just
found a problem.

If I go to device manager, I can see both my HID device and my raw PDO
device (raw PDO device is list as hidden device). But if I do a "Update
driver software" on one of them, it will only update the driver for the one I
selected but not the other one. BTW, I used one INF file for
intalling/updating both drivers.

Is there a way to force driver update on the one not selected? Or is there a
way to disable driver update on those two deivces and force user to do
uninstall then install?

Thanks.

G.
From: Doron Holan [MSFT] on
no, there is no way to do this. each stack is independent. are you sure you
want your raw PDO + UMDF stack be installed as a HID device? I would think
you would want a different class

From: gti4ever on
Thanks Doron,

I can move the raw PDO + UMDF stack to another class but I am afraid this
won't solve my problem. Users can still update one driver and forgot to
update the other.

Can I get rid of the UMDF and replace it with an export driver? Will that
help in this case? Also, there is lots of floating point image processing in
my code and I am not sure it is a good idea to put all of them into an export
driver in kernel mode.

Any suggestion?

G.

From: Doron Holan [MSFT] on
an export driver does not fix anything. if you need both drivers to be
updated at once, the best you can do is programitically at runtime detect
each other's version number and fail if there is a mismatch