From: Mark Knecht on
On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
> On 07/03/2010 06:42 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:

>>> dmesg output preferably with printk timestamp enabled.
>
> Can you please apply the attached patch, reproduce the problem and
> post the kernel log?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> tejun

I'm sorry. What am I patching? I'm not a kernel developer - not even a
programmer - so I'll need some help with this. What's the command I
should use?

c2stable src # ls -la /usr/src/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jul 2 09:56 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Apr 15 07:46 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Mar 24 18:37 .keep
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jul 2 09:56 linux ->
linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Jun 16 07:23 linux-2.6.32-gentoo-r7
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jun 16 08:42 linux-2.6.34-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 24 root root 4096 Jul 3 15:30 linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 Jun 27 13:12 linux-2.6.34-rc3
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Jun 15 08:05 linux-2.6.34-rc5
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 4096 Jun 27 13:13 linux-2.6.35-rc3
c2stable src #

Thanks,
Mark
From: Robert Hancock on
On 07/05/2010 10:48 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Tejun Heo<tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 07/04/2010 12:31 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> OK, I don't know if this is related but so far I cannot get the
>>> machine to boot if I set BIOS SATA configuration to AHCI. I believe
>>> that I have AHCI support as well as SATA support built into the kernel
>>> but when I set the BIOS to AHCI the machine just hangs saying it finds
>>> no medium. I assume that means no hard drive. I have to set SATA
>>> support to enhanced and then IDE to get the machine to boot at all.
>>
>> That's odd. Can you please attach kernel boot log w/ ahci mode?
>> Booting a recent live CD and saving boot log from there should do the
>> trick.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> tejun
>>

> Hi Tehun,
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I tried a Gentoo install CD from last march. It's a 2.6.31 type
> kernel. Problem is the buffer depths are not big enough to capture the
> complete dmesg contents and I don't know a command line option to make
> it larger on the fly. If you know of one that's got a larger buffer -
> or a command to increase it at boot time - then let me know and I'll
> try again.
>
> I'm attaching what I was able to catch for both AHCI and IDE
> settings in BIOS for the storage configuration option.
>
> It seems to me that even in AHCI mode the machine does see all the
> hard drives. Maybe there's something about my boot partition that's
> having problems in AHCI mode only? If it sees /dev/sda then why
> wouldn't it find grub and at least show a grub menu?

On some machines changing from IDE to AHCI messes up the boot order
selection in the BIOS - you may have to switch to AHCI, save settings,
reboot, go back into the BIOS and then make sure the disk boot order
settings are correct (whatever drive grub is installed on needs to be
first).
From: Mark Knecht on
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockrwd(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 10:48 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Tejun Heo<tj(a)kernel.org>  wrote:

>>> That's odd.  Can you please attach kernel boot log w/ ahci mode?
>>> Booting a recent live CD and saving boot log from there should do the
>>> trick.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> tejun
>>>

>> Hi Tehun,
>>    Thanks for the help.
>>
>>    I tried a Gentoo install CD from last march. It's a 2.6.31 type
>> kernel. Problem is the buffer depths are not big enough to capture the
>> complete dmesg contents and I don't know a command line option to make
>> it larger on the fly. If you know of one that's got a larger buffer -
>> or a command to increase it at boot time - then let me know and I'll
>> try again.
>>
>>    I'm attaching what I was able to catch for both AHCI and IDE
>> settings in BIOS for the storage configuration option.
>>
>>    It seems to me that even in AHCI mode the machine does see all the
>> hard drives. Maybe there's something about my boot partition that's
>> having problems in AHCI mode only? If it sees /dev/sda then why
>> wouldn't it find grub and at least show a grub menu?
>
> On some machines changing from IDE to AHCI messes up the boot order
> selection in the BIOS - you may have to switch to AHCI, save settings,
> reboot, go back into the BIOS and then make sure the disk boot order
> settings are correct (whatever drive grub is installed on needs to be
> first).

That's a very interesting idea Robert. Thanks.

I'll have to be careful. I have 5 identical drives in the machine so
figuring out which is which when I'm in BIOS might be a bit of a
trick.

I'll give it a go and report back.

Cheers,
Mark
From: Stan Hoeppner on
Mark Knecht put forth on 7/5/2010 11:16 PM:

> I'll have to be careful. I have 5 identical drives in the machine so
> figuring out which is which when I'm in BIOS might be a bit of a
> trick.

Makes you yearn for the good old days of SCSI don't it? :(

--
Stan
From: Tejun Heo on
On 07/05/2010 06:48 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I tried a Gentoo install CD from last march. It's a 2.6.31 type
> kernel. Problem is the buffer depths are not big enough to capture the
> complete dmesg contents and I don't know a command line option to make
> it larger on the fly. If you know of one that's got a larger buffer -
> or a command to increase it at boot time - then let me know and I'll
> try again.
>
> I'm attaching what I was able to catch for both AHCI and IDE
> settings in BIOS for the storage configuration option.

That's enough.

> It seems to me that even in AHCI mode the machine does see all the
> hard drives. Maybe there's something about my boot partition that's
> having problems in AHCI mode only? If it sees /dev/sda then why
> wouldn't it find grub and at least show a grub menu?

The ahci driver is working fine. If the system can't boot w/ ahci
mode, the problem is probably on the bios side and most likely caused
by getting the boot device wrong as Robert suggested. Just choose one
after another until it boots should do the trick.

Thanks.

--
tejun