From: Paul Check on
Hey Tejun: I guess this is the same patch that you sent me to fix my issue
with missing drives. Good news: I've been through about 10 reboots now
and no problems. Based on my prior experience, I'd say with the old
setup, 10 clean boots in a row was probably less than a 1% event. So, it
seems that this has fixed my problem.

Thanks!

Regards, Paul

From: Tejun Heo on
Helo,

On 07/20/2010 05:14 AM, Paul Check wrote:
> Hey Tejun: I guess this is the same patch that you sent me to fix my issue
> with missing drives. Good news: I've been through about 10 reboots now
> and no problems. Based on my prior experience, I'd say with the old
> setup, 10 clean boots in a row was probably less than a 1% event. So, it
> seems that this has fixed my problem.

Yeap, it's the same one. I'm forwarding the patch upstream now but,
Mark, please let me know the test result.

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: Mark Knecht on
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
> Helo,
>
> On 07/20/2010 05:14 AM, Paul Check wrote:
>> Hey Tejun: I guess this is the same patch that you sent me to fix my issue
>> with missing drives.  Good news: I've been through about 10 reboots now
>> and no problems.  Based on my prior experience, I'd say with the old
>> setup, 10 clean boots in a row was probably less than a 1% event.  So, it
>> seems that this has fixed my problem.
>
> Yeap, it's the same one.  I'm forwarding the patch upstream now but,
> Mark, please let me know the test result.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> tejun

Tejun,
I'm traveling but back tonight. I'll try it then.

Thanks,
Mark
From: Mark Knecht on
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Tejun Heo <tj(a)kernel.org> wrote:
>> Helo,
>>
>> On 07/20/2010 05:14 AM, Paul Check wrote:
>>> Hey Tejun: I guess this is the same patch that you sent me to fix my issue
>>> with missing drives.  Good news: I've been through about 10 reboots now
>>> and no problems.  Based on my prior experience, I'd say with the old
>>> setup, 10 clean boots in a row was probably less than a 1% event.  So, it
>>> seems that this has fixed my problem.
>>
>> Yeap, it's the same one.  I'm forwarding the patch upstream now but,
>> Mark, please let me know the test result.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> tejun
>>

> Tejun,
>   I'm traveling but back tonight. I'll try it then.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

OK, I was able to get into the machine remotely for a few minutes. I
think the patch applied correctly and the machine cold booted cleanly.
(My wife powered it up for me.)

I'll do more boots later when you confirm everything looks reasonable.
I don't see any print statement in the patch so I don't know what to
look for. I'm attaching a dmesg file for you to review.

Assuming I did this right then everything seems good so far.

Cheers,
Mark

c2stable linux # patch --verbose -p1 <~mark/Downloads/ata_piix-sidpr-lock.patch
Hmm... Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git a/drivers/ata/ata_piix.c b/drivers/ata/ata_piix.c
|index 7409f98..3971bc0 100644
|--- a/drivers/ata/ata_piix.c
|+++ b/drivers/ata/ata_piix.c
--------------------------
Patching file drivers/ata/ata_piix.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 158.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 952.
Hunk #3 succeeded at 968.
Hunk #4 succeeded at 1573.
done
c2stable linux #
From: Mark Knecht on
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Paul Check <paul(a)thechecks.ca> wrote:
> Hey Tejun: I guess this is the same patch that you sent me to fix my issue
> with missing drives.  Good news: I've been through about 10 reboots now
> and no problems.  Based on my prior experience, I'd say with the old
> setup, 10 clean boots in a row was probably less than a 1% event.  So, it
> seems that this has fixed my problem.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards, Paul

Hey Paul. Glad it worked for you as it did for me.

Was your hardware in any way similar to mine?

- Mark