From: Tom Del Rosso on

My ST315003 runs at lease 5 deg C hotter than other drives in the same
position. I've looked at Tom's Hardware and such places, but they focus on
problem drives, and I want a positive identification of a drive that doesn't
have a known problem! What 1.5 - 2 TB SATA drives are fast and run fairly
cool? I have RAID 5 in mind for them, BTW.

Thanks.

zero, and remove the last word.

From: cjt on
On 8/7/2010 6:07 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> My ST315003 runs at lease 5 deg C hotter than other drives in the same
> position. I've looked at Tom's Hardware and such places, but they focus on
> problem drives, and I want a positive identification of a drive that doesn't
> have a known problem! What 1.5 - 2 TB SATA drives are fast and run fairly
> cool? I have RAID 5 in mind for them, BTW.
>
> Thanks.

Just read the specs for power use. Except for an EXTREMELY small
amount, it all ends up as heat.
From: Rod Speed on
Tom Del Rosso wrote

> My ST315003 runs at lease 5 deg C hotter than other drives in the same
> position. I've looked at Tom's Hardware and such places, but they
> focus on problem drives, and I want a positive identification of a
> drive that doesn't have a known problem! What 1.5 - 2 TB SATA drives
> are fast and run fairly cool?

The Samsung Greens.

From: mscotgrove on
On Aug 8, 7:15 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso wrote
>
> > My ST315003 runs at lease 5 deg C hotter than other drives in the same
> > position.  I've looked at Tom's Hardware and such places, but they
> > focus on problem drives, and I want a positive identification of a
> > drive that doesn't have a known problem!  What 1.5 - 2 TB SATA drives
> > are fast and run fairly cool?
>
> The Samsung Greens.
>

> > I have RAID 5 in mind for them, BTW.- Hide quoted text -

I have not done any carefull measurements, but the WD Green drives are
cool - but also spin a bit slower.

Michael