From: Walter Briscoe on
I run Excel 2003 on Windows Vista.
I want to drive an HTML page with the following excerpt:
<select id="title" name="title" tabindex='0' onfocus='rememberMyFocus("
title");'>
<option value="">-- Please select --</option>
<option value="0001">Ms</option>
<option value="0002">Mr</option>
<option value="Z030">Mrs</option>
<option value="Z040">Miss</option>
</select>

I have a drop down list, populated from the first column in:
Titles Code
Ms 0001
Mr 0002
Mrs Z030
Miss Z040

In VBA code, I can easily translate titles to codes with something like
Private Function TranslateTitle(ByVal Title As String) As String
Select Case Title
Case "Ms"
TranslateTitle = "0001"
Case "Mr"
TranslateTitle = "0002"
Case "Mrs"
TranslateTitle = "Z030"
Case "Miss"
TranslateTitle = "Z040"
End Select
End Function

I prefer to do the translation in Excel, itself and have a cell formula
=VLOOKUP(B5, Sheet3!A2:B69, 2, False)

That does not use the offset in the named range I use for validation.
Is there a "better" way to do the translation?
--
Walter Briscoe
From: ozgrid.com on
See this page for different ways.
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/cell-lookup.htm

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

From: Walter Briscoe on
Thank you. That is sweet. I have 2 lists with about 20 and about 50
translations. I use the choose method for the shorter and the index
method for the latter, so I have examples of both.

In message <O4qEpk16KHA.3880(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> of Tue, 4 May 2010
15:12:21 in microsoft.public.excel.programming, ozgrid.com
<dave(a)ozgrid.com> writes