From: GEdwards on
I cannot find if there is a way to have a dropdown list that contains
pre-defined data validation entries and also allow a user to input their own.

Is there a way to do this in Excel?

From: Gord Dibben on
Yes.

Uncheck "Show error alert"

The user-input will not be added to the list permanently.

If you want that you will require some VBA code.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for a sample workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0012

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: ozgrid.com on
Yes, change the Error Alert to Information.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

From: GEdwards on
Thanks Gord. This does the work I need and I have also bookmarked the site
you suggested for future reference.

From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
With all due respect - when the OP asks [quote]:
"...and also allow a user to input their own" - I, and probably 99% of the
supporters in this D.G., would guess he DOES NOT want and/or need ANY KIND of
alert about an "Illegal Value..."
Micky