From: Danno on
Just got a neat little miniPCI dual-NIC card. It's two realtek 8100c
chipsets on a single card. I can bring up eth0 (IRQ 6) without difficulty,
but eth1 is troublesome. When I cold boot, the BIOS complains about a "PCI
IRQ routing table error", and after linux is up, dmesg shows that the
kernel can see both NICs, but that it "can't find IRQ for PCI INT A", next
line shows eth1 on IRQ 0 with a MAC address whose sextet is one greater
than eth0.
Any idea on how I can set the IRQ on the second chip? I have not access to
it from the BIOS.

--
Slackware 12.2, 2.6.27.7, Core i7 920, GeForce 8400 GS
RLU #272755
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 20 January 2010 00:25 in comp.os.linux.hardware, somebody
identifying as Danno wrote...

> Just got a neat little miniPCI dual-NIC card. It's two realtek 8100c
> chipsets on a single card. I can bring up eth0 (IRQ 6) without
> difficulty, but eth1 is troublesome. When I cold boot, the BIOS
> complains about a "PCI IRQ routing table error", and after linux is
> up, dmesg shows that the kernel can see both NICs, but that it "can't
> find IRQ for PCI INT A", next line shows eth1 on IRQ 0 with a MAC
> address whose sextet is one greater than eth0.
> Any idea on how I can set the IRQ on the second chip? I have not
> access to it from the BIOS.

This should be possible via a kernel boot parameter - which you can then
add to the line for your kernel in your bootloader configuration file.
Consult your kernel documentation for details. ;-)

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Danno on
Aragorn wrote:
<snip>

> This should be possible via a kernel boot parameter - which you can then
> add to the line for your kernel in your bootloader configuration file.
> Consult your kernel documentation for details. ;-)

Thanks for the reply, has kept me occupied for a couple of days LOL.
Ultimately, I have not been able to get the second chip working, just can't
seem to get an IRQ assigned to it. My "suspicion of the moment" is that the
card can only be used in bonded mode, but I have no inclination to test
that. Perhaps if I get my hands on a computer with a miniPCI slot and a
more adventurous BIOS, I'll be able to do more with this card...
For anyone researching this, the card is an Advantech MIO-3130-00A1E
http://buy.advantech.com/MIO-3130/MIO-3130/model-MIO-3130-00A1E.htm#
The first NIC works as expected, zero issues or configuration quirks.

From: Joe on
On 2010-01-21, Danno <WhoaBaby(a)MySecretPlace.org> wrote:
> Aragorn wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> This should be possible via a kernel boot parameter - which you can then
>> add to the line for your kernel in your bootloader configuration file.
>> Consult your kernel documentation for details. ;-)
>>

> Thanks for the reply, has kept me occupied for a couple of days LOL.
> Ultimately, I have not been able to get the second chip working, just can't
> seem to get an IRQ assigned to it. My "suspicion of the moment" is that the
> card can only be used in bonded mode, but I have no inclination to test
> that. Perhaps if I get my hands on a computer with a miniPCI slot and a
> more adventurous BIOS, I'll be able to do more with this card...
> For anyone researching this, the card is an Advantech MIO-3130-00A1E
> http://buy.advantech.com/MIO-3130/MIO-3130/model-MIO-3130-00A1E.htm#
> The first NIC works as expected, zero issues or configuration quirks.

Chances are, the problem is still your BIOS.

Check the Plug-n-Play setting in the BIOS, and tell it to clear the
data, then reboot. It is likely that the system has something
configured in all of the spots that your card can use, and this will
allow it to reconfigure everything (don't worry, won't affect linux
booting).

Also, while you're in there, make sure to disable anything you're not
actually using. Serial ports, parallel ports, etc, all take IRQ's,
and it may help if you can free one or more up for the PnP BIOS.

--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
From: Danno on
Joe wrote:
<snip>

>> Thanks for the reply, has kept me occupied for a couple of days LOL.
>> Ultimately, I have not been able to get the second chip working, just
>> can't seem to get an IRQ assigned to it. My "suspicion of the moment" is
>> that the card can only be used in bonded mode, but I have no inclination
>> to test that. Perhaps if I get my hands on a computer with a miniPCI slot
>> and a more adventurous BIOS, I'll be able to do more with this card...
>> For anyone researching this, the card is an Advantech MIO-3130-00A1E
>> http://buy.advantech.com/MIO-3130/MIO-3130/model-MIO-3130-00A1E.htm#
>> The first NIC works as expected, zero issues or configuration quirks.
>
> Chances are, the problem is still your BIOS.
>
> Check the Plug-n-Play setting in the BIOS, and tell it to clear the
> data, then reboot. It is likely that the system has something
> configured in all of the spots that your card can use, and this will
> allow it to reconfigure everything (don't worry, won't affect linux
> booting).
>
> Also, while you're in there, make sure to disable anything you're not
> actually using. Serial ports, parallel ports, etc, all take IRQ's,
> and it may help if you can free one or more up for the PnP BIOS.

Tried all that. Unfortunately, there are very few things I am able to
adjust in the BIOS. The BIOS complains about an IRQ routing conflict. When
I boot up and cat /proc/interrupts, there are still several IRQs
available, but I could find now way to assign an IRQ to the NIC (either as
a module or statically compiled with boot-time parameters).
dmesg sets the IRQ to 0,but my understanding is that's the IRQ value for
things it cannot determine through probing. /proc/interrupts shows IRQ 0for
the the system timer. IRQ values seem to be limited to 16 or less.
The computer I'm working with is a Norhtec Microclient JrDX, which is the
same as a DMP eBox-3300 (in fact, the BIOS says it's an eBox 3300).
I've tried combinations of : PnP on/off, serial on/off/remapped, IRQ on
video on/off. Really, I spent a day just trying every combination in the
BIOS I could set, to see if the magic would happen. Additionally, the card
itself has two sets of dip switches, for setting the IDSEL on the second
NIC. They can be set for up to 8 different "Pin Name"s :
(PCI_AD20,21,23,26,28,29,30,31)
I don't have a deep enough understanding of electronics and the PCI bus to
know what this means, but I do know that if I don't set at least one, I
won't even get a BIOS prompt - the computer just hangs. Most of the other
settings work, but they all result in the same IRQ ROUTING error.