From: Walter Mautner on
Am Samstag, 30. Januar 2010 20:20:15 schrieb Roman Muñoz:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting some Ubuntu Karmic clients on a school net. PDC is windows
> 2k3 r2. I realized that DHCP server sends only "school", not
> "school.net" as domain name. I have been told that AD configuration was
> migrated "as is" from an older windows release. I used a "supersede"
> line on client's dhcp.conf to get a correct domain name. I'm not
> authorized to do any configuration change on PDC but could see the event
> log, etc.
>
> Client machines are dual booted: XP client and Ubuntu client on the same
> machine get different unique names. Ubuntu clients are configured
> following the guides available on the Net, and are working quite well:
> domain users can logon and shares are mounted.
>
> But XP and Ubuntu keep dropping each other out of domain. Any ideas?

Would be a good idea to change the MAC address on one of the multiboot setups.
Am Sonntag, 31. Januar 2010 14:40:30 schrieb Roman Muñoz:
> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Probably it would be not very difficult to change the MAC address. This
> has the advantage that could work even if IT staff doesn't want to do
> any change in their dhcpd configuration.
>
> On the other hand, it seems that reconfiguring dhcpd would be a nicer
> solution that could perhaps be accepted by IT staff. However the pointer
> given seems to be about linux dhcpd, not about windows dhcpd. After some
> googling I got the windows doc about vendor classes, but I wonder by
> just changing host's name is not enough.

You are talking about linux as a client, so you want to change your
dhclient.conf or whatever dhcp client you use.
I don't think changing merely the hostname will work, because without changing
the IP address, the re-named dns entries will take more time to re-populate
even if dynamicaly updated by the windows ad-dns server, as it may take to try
machine authentication with a 2nd OS on the same hardware.
I think, having two hostnames sharing the same physical hardware and IP is
above the concept of AD/dynamic dns update.