From: Ajax on
I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router. One of the options is "Dynamic
Routing." It also offers a few options if you select Dynamic Routing.
As you might expect, Linksys does little to explain why one would need
to use Dynamic Routing. It offers Static Routing for networks with
multiple routers. If I am not using Dynamic Routing nor Static Routing
- both are offered as options - the what type of Routing is my network
using?

My system is a home network that includes both desktops hardwired to
the router and a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point. The router
connects to a cable modem.

Is Dynamic Routing something that would enhance the network or is it
something for larger and more complex systems?

From: Duane Arnold on
Ajax wrote:
> I have a Linksys BEFSX41 router. One of the options is "Dynamic
> Routing." It also offers a few options if you select Dynamic Routing.
> As you might expect, Linksys does little to explain why one would need
> to use Dynamic Routing. It offers Static Routing for networks with
> multiple routers. If I am not using Dynamic Routing nor Static Routing
> - both are offered as options - the what type of Routing is my network
> using?
>
> My system is a home network that includes both desktops hardwired to
> the router and a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point. The router
> connects to a cable modem.
>
> Is Dynamic Routing something that would enhance the network or is it
> something for larger and more complex systems?

http://www.linktionary.com/d/dynamic_routing.html

When I was using a Linksys router, I was told by the Techs to configure
the router to use Dynamic routing even though I knew the topology of my
network would not change. That was also the default setting of the
router out of the box.

When I converted the BEFW11S4 router to be just a wire/wireless AP
switch so that I could connect it to my FW appliance but still have WAP
on the network, then I was told to use Static routing on the router that
was just a switch.

Duane :)

From: Dom on
Dynamic routing protocols and static routes are only for use on networks
with more than one router. Let's take the following example of three
networks and two routers.

(net1)__rtr1__(net2)__rtr2__(net3)

Each router is only aware of directly connected networks. Rtr1 does not
know about net3 and rtr2 does not know about net1. We can add the
following static routes to reach the remote networks.

rtr1: net3 via rtr2
rtr2: net1 via rtr1

Or, we can configure rip between the routers on net2 so they can
automatically propagate their routes to each other.
From: Dom on
> ... I was told ... to configure ... Dynamic routing even though I
> knew ...

> ... I was told to use Static routing on ... a switch.

Bravo, Duane. What an intuitive, straightforward analysis of routing. I
couldn't have come up with a better explanation myself. Oh wait, actually...
From: Duane Arnold on
Dom wrote:
>> ... I was told ... to configure ... Dynamic routing even though I
>> knew ...
>

>> ... I was told to use Static routing on ... a switch.
>

> Bravo, Duane. What an intuitive, straightforward analysis of routing. I
> couldn't have come up with a better explanation myself. Oh wait,
> actually...

I have to ask this. What is wrong with you? I think that you have some
kind of problem.

Shall I get a pad and pencil and you lay down on the couch and we
discuss your problems? Can I suggest Prozac or some kind of medication
to you, because I am beginning to suspect, that there is something wrong
with you.

Will you stop chasing me like some kind of lunatic nut. I already have
one insane nut troll woman name K-Man that impersonates me in various
NG(s), attacks people as me and she follows me around the NG(s) and here
you are in a NG I have been coming to for years with you acting like
some kind of a nut. I see you over there in the wireless NG and I have
seen you here too. Do you see me in your face? Do you you see me chasing
you around like I have had may heart ripped out like you seem to be
displaying?

I have forgotten all about you. You seem a little trolly to me now. Are
you going to start trolling me?

Will you please get your sorry self under control.

There is something wrong with you.

Duane :(