From: Scott on
Exchange 2007 install on Windows 2008 server mailbox role installation
crashed out with
Error: An error occured. The error code was 3221684229. The message was
Access is denied.

2003 AD domain, currently running exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 box.
Exchange setup was run with domain admin privleges.
Have run the "MS exchange Best Practices Analyser" then "Exchange 2007
Readiness Check" with no errors.
Manually ran /PrepareLegacyExchangePermission /PrepareSchema /PrepareAD
with no errors.
Exchange installation worked for "copy exchange files" , "management tools"
, hub transport role" , "client access role" , failed on the mailbox role.

Setup now shows a "Finish" option.

1) What else could i have done to prepare to avoid this error ?

2) How can i solve this error and re run the mailbox role ?

Thank you
Scott

From: mostarx on
Hi

Did you install HUB role before MBX role?
Because you have mixed environment my opinion is that you must first install
HUB role and than other role.

Regards

Jurislav

From: Scott on
thanks for the reply. Seems E2K7 is not supported on W2K8 R2 ! , awesome MS
thanks for that !

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/09/21/452567.aspx

Attempted to uninstall exchange , remove the routing connectors using
powershell , all work ok.
Tried an uninstall of exchange again but as the MAILBOX ROLE bit failed then
it seems i get "object reference not set" during an uninstall of this role.

So removed the server from the domain and am going to install W2K8 with SP2
that is supported, but before this added it back to the domain again. Think
i need to solve this uninstall error first.

From: Scott on
added to domain again no problem, going to try the article re compatability
mode role install. if it works then an uninstall should hopefully work too.

From: Scott on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\Mailbox\ there is a
key under this registy which says "Uninstall"

I changed it to "Install" and re-tried uninstalling, its worked.