From: Heck on
No, I don't understand that.
It implies that the game isn't properly integrated into the display
hierarchy, doesn't it? Clearly, it wants to take over the whole
machine, but Windows won't let it, thus, conflict ensues.

Anyway, thanks for your interest and help.

From: Jackie on
Heck wrote:
> No, I don't understand that.
> It implies that the game isn't properly integrated into the display
> hierarchy, doesn't it? Clearly, it wants to take over the whole
> machine, but Windows won't let it, thus, conflict ensues.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your interest and help.

Actually, this happens even for something simple like Notepad, believe
it or not.

I had a look earlier at the API GetTokenInformation...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379626(v=VS.85).aspx

Under TokenOrigin, it says:
"If the token resulted from a logon that used explicit credentials, such
as passing a name, domain, and password to the LogonUser function, then
the TOKEN_ORIGIN structure will contain the ID of the logon session that
created it."

I wonder if the game (or DRM) does this to check who tried to run the
game and then see if it's the same user account the game is installed on
or not.

Well, I can agree that this is a kind of stupid strategy if they by
intention have that limitation. It's the same computer so you should be
able to run it from any account on that computer.

--
Regards,
Jackie
From: Alex Blekhman on
On 09-Jun-10 23:29, Heck wrote:
> After some exploration and experimentation, it seems to me the Desktop
> Manager exe and code it depends upon has been trashed. When I turned
> of Aero by setting my color resolution to 16 bits from 32, the problem
> behavior ceased.

It looks like buggy display driver. I had similar problem with my laptop
where desktop manager used to die from time to time disabling Aero.
Updating display drivers solved the problem completely.

HTH
Alex
From: Heck on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 12:42:48 +1000, Alex Blekhman <tkfx(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 09-Jun-10 23:29, Heck wrote:
>> After some exploration and experimentation, it seems to me the Desktop
>> Manager exe and code it depends upon has been trashed. When I turned
>> of Aero by setting my color resolution to 16 bits from 32, the problem
>> behavior ceased.
>
>It looks like buggy display driver. I had similar problem with my laptop
>where desktop manager used to die from time to time disabling Aero.
>Updating display drivers solved the problem completely.
>
>HTH
>Alex

I updated the driver twice, to no avail. Significantly, it worked
without problem before the game installation, so, it was not in itself
the problem.