From: MM on
ISE/EDK11 has been crashing on me lately relentlessly complaining about the
lack of memory and just for no reason. I am considering moving to a 64-bit
OS just to eliminate the memory issue although I believe the root of the
problem is in the tools. Anyways, I was just wondering if the latest EDK is
indeed fully supported under 64-bit Linux as shown here
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm?

Thanks,
/Mikhail

From: MM on
On the same note, I would appreciate an advice on what kind of CPU makes the
most sense for today's and future Xilinx tools running under 64-bit Linux.
Should I get a quad core or dual core? And if someone wants to give me a
very specific advice it has to be Dell :)

Thanks,
/Mikhail

From: austin on
M,

I use EDK on a 64b RHEL system...and it doesn't crash (for me).

Austin
From: Nobby Anderson on
MM <mbmsv(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> ISE/EDK11 has been crashing on me lately relentlessly complaining about the
> lack of memory and just for no reason. I am considering moving to a 64-bit
> OS just to eliminate the memory issue although I believe the root of the
> problem is in the tools. Anyways, I was just wondering if the latest EDK is
> indeed fully supported under 64-bit Linux as shown here
> http://www.xilinx.com/ise/ossupport/index.htm?

I use 11.3 on Fedora 10 64 bit and it's OK for me. Oh, except I can't get
the SDK to load, something to do with missing libraries for which I've
followed all the advice I can find but can't get to work. Don't use it
though, so don't care.

Nobby
From: Matthieu Michon on
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:21:53 -0500
"MM" <mbmsv(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> On the same note, I would appreciate an advice on what kind of CPU makes the
> most sense for today's and future Xilinx tools running under 64-bit Linux.
> Should I get a quad core or dual core? And if someone wants to give me a
> very specific advice it has to be Dell :)

Hi

My company replaced my previous workstation last month with a Dell Precision T1500 (P55/Core-i7 architecture). Works great and the price difference with the T3500 series (X58/Xeon-35XX) allowed my to order a secondary display.

One of my co-workers noticed a two-fold decrease in compiling time --on a large V5 SX50T design-- with a Precision T3500 (Xeon W3520 @2.66 GHz) over a Precision T3400 (Core-2 Duo E6300 @1.86 Ghz).

With a dual-core Xeon 3500 series you will lose 4 MB of L3 cache memory, therefore I would suggest you to go with a quad-core Xeon 3520 series (Precision T3500) or with a Core-i7 (Precision T1500).

Hope this helps.
--
Matthieu Michon <prenom.nom(a)gmail.com>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: FPGA + Ethernet
Next: Spartan6 PCIe and multiboot