From: GS on
> That is basically what I ended up doing via Binary read into a string
> variable, but I wanted to understand why the EOF had failed. Although
> I did use this method I am wary because my text files have no
> limitations on size and contain data. If they approach the multi
> gigabyte size the method approaches its limits.
>
> ~Steve

And this is why I suggested using ADO! It allows you to handle the data
as any normal recordset would be handled.

--
Garry

From: Steve on
On Jul 15, 11:17 am, GS <gesan...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> > That is basically what I ended up doing via Binary read into a string
> > variable, but I wanted to understand why the EOF had failed.  Although
> > I did use this method I am wary because my text files have no
> > limitations on size and contain data.  If they approach the multi
> > gigabyte size the method approaches its limits.
>
> > ~Steve
>
> And this is why I suggested using ADO! It allows you to handle the data
> as any normal recordset would be handled.
>
> --
> Garry
>
> Free usenet access athttp://www.eternal-september.org
> ClassicVB Users Regroup! comp.lang.basic.visual.misc

This is why I love this group. I learn very useful things here!
Thanks everyone.

~Steve
From: Thorsten Albers on
Steve <stevegdula(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Beitrag
<a8570280-0d32-4ed2-9243-fbf99a8d8c44(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>...
> This is why I love this group. I learn very useful things here!

For me using Split() or ADO for such a simple task isn't a useful thing, in
no way. Both methods are very memory and time consuming. A simple byte
array and about 10-15 lines of code will do the same thing but will consume
much less time and memory.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: GS on
Thorsten Albers used his keyboard to write :
> Steve <stevegdula(a)yahoo.com> schrieb im Beitrag
> <a8570280-0d32-4ed2-9243-fbf99a8d8c44(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>...
>> This is why I love this group. I learn very useful things here!
>
> For me using Split() or ADO for such a simple task isn't a useful thing, in
> no way. Both methods are very memory and time consuming.

I haven't noticed anything of the sort. But then I don't use text files
for storing large amounts of data as most clients who start out this
way usually evolve to using a proper database as their needs (and data)
grow!

Where size of a recordset can be taxing on resources/speed, it's no
problem to limit the number of records being worked on to something
reasonable so that performance is within acceptable parameters. Of
course, this also depends on what you're doing.<g>

> A simple byte array and about 10-15 lines of code will do the same
> thing but will consume much less time and memory.

I agree. However, I suggested using ADO because eventually the OP may
end up storing the data (if it's anywhere near the size being
suggested) in a proper database. In this case there would be very
little work to revise the code to use the database. This would be a
different story using any kind of array.<g>

--
Garry