From: Al on
I have written a script which uses dnscmd to update my DNS records but I get
the ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
5 (00000005) . The only way to resolve it is by making IUSR a member of the
administrator group. I have already checked to see if the FileSystem
permissions are what is causing the problem but it was not. I am running
W2k Server with IIS

Any ideas please.

From: n0c on
i never used dnscmd but can you pass alternate credentials when you use
it? Like for a service account or something with rights to access the
records?

From: Al on
Thanks for your reply,

I was testing the script on my laptop which is also running W2K Server
before testing it on the Production Server. On the laptop I have not setup
AD and not all the groups which are normally created such as DNSADMINS was
present, in order to make my script work I had to make the modifications
below which I found in the Security requirements of this page
http://www.serverobjects.com/comp/aspdns.htm Once these modifications were
done I was able to run the script and update my DNS

However, when I looked at the Production Server, all I had to do was to make
the IUSR account a member of the DNSADMINS group.

From: Michael Harris (MVP) on
> However, when I looked at the Production Server, all I had to do was
> to make the IUSR account a member of the DNSADMINS group.

Don't you think that an anonymous user account in and admin group might not
be a good security practice <g>?

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

From: Al on
Thanks for your reply Michael,

Do you know of a more secure way for me to be able to update the DNS records
for our clients. We need to be able to log into our customers machines
remotely, but since they have dynamic addresses we have written a script for
their machine to update our DNS server whenever their ip address changes.