From: DEN on
Windows Up Date does not work. We have tried re registering. ie from run
command regsur32/s wucltui.dll and sending to Microsoft Tech support.
From: Taurarian on
0x8DDD0004 - means - ErrorControlFailed

Make sure your firewall is not blocking the Update site and check any pop up stopper
programs. Now check in IE tools\manage add-ons (Win XP SP2 only) making sure that
WuWebControlClass is enabled. You may also wish to check c:\windows\Downloaded
Program Files to see if anything is corrupted there.

select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer" in the "Show:" drop down
list

If the above appears to be in order, try re-registering these files, by clicking
Start, Run and typing:-

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

You should receive a successful message after each one.

If you need to remove the Windows Update ActiveX controls and re-install
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319585

From: Taurarian on
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
Introduction to using scannow sfc (system file checker)
This will replacing any missing files.

WINUP-Third-Party Products That Conflict with Windows Update
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241234

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
Windows Update Checklist

With IE Tools/manage add-ons,"WUWebControlClass" is not listed as
> currently loaded, but is listed in "....have been used by IE".

Make sure that it this Add-on is enabled - even if it is in the "have been used by
IE"

From: malchan on
Many thanks. Tried it all but nothing seemed to work. Ended up
saving/re-booting/updating, quite a long process

From: Curtis Clay III [MSFT] on

Hello,
Go to Manage Add-Ons and make sure that "WUWebControlClass" is set to
*Enable*.
Make sure you accepted the Microsoft Trust Certificate
Check security settings, make sure they are not set too high
Delete cookies and temp files
Re-register the following dll's
net stop cryptsvc ( make sure to start the service again when you are done )
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll