From: wzab on
Hi,

I'm considering buying of ESI UGM96 - the USB soundcard with 2
guitar inputs and line/headphone outputs.
Unfortunately the manufacturer does not provide any information
about Linux compatibility of this device
(http://www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm96/ )
Has anybody any experiences with running it under Linux?
Is it correctly handled by ALSA? Are all controlls available
e.g. via ALSA mixer?
--
Thank you very much in advance,
Wojtek
From: wzab on
I've found the following info :
http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?topics_offset=20&forumId=2&comments_parentId=12080
Unfortunately I don't know French, and the babelfish translation:
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linuxmao.org%2Ftikiwiki%2Ftiki-view_forum_thread.php%3Ftopics_offset%3D20%26forumId%3D2%26comments_parentId%3D12080&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
was not of the best quality.
Generally it seems that this device should work with Linux, but it is
unknown if all functions are available.
From: jan olieslagers on
wzab schreef:
> I've found the following info :
> http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?topics_offset=20&forumId=2&comments_parentId=12080
> Unfortunately I don't know French, and the babelfish translation:
> http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linuxmao.org%2Ftikiwiki%2Ftiki-view_forum_thread.php%3Ftopics_offset%3D20%26forumId%3D2%26comments_parentId%3D12080&lp=fr_en&btnTrUrl=Translate
> was not of the best quality.
> Generally it seems that this device should work with Linux, but it is
> unknown if all functions are available.

The French message is rather positive, but mentions two problems:
1) impossible to record in 24 bit mode at 96 KHz
2) the RT kernel of Ubuntu 8.10 is called buggy. There was a
recommendation to downgrade to Ubuntu 8.04, but o/p solved it by
compiling a Zen kernel, which was apparently devised by someone using
Linux for real-time music processing.

(translated freely and "quick and dirty" with no guarantees!)