From: jack on
I trying to create access stand alone project and in the top of that I need to be able to lock the program something like EULA if they don't pay the monthly payment some kind of authorization form from the client side that can ask the sever in my side every time they open the database… are they authorized to use it Or not? Or any other idea?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

---
frmsrcurl: http://compgroups.net/comp.databases.ms-access
From: The Frog on
I dont know about using an EULA type scenario, but perhaps a simple
web service type approach, whereby some time based 'rolling' key could
be used as the basis of continued operation. It might be possible to
have the application check some encypted file locally (or fields
stored in an mdb - as long as they are encrypted), and if the 'valid
from' and 'valid till' window is not correct it checks with the online
server, providing some simple identification information such as
client_id, application_id, application_guid (ie/ unique to each copy
of the app for each client). If it all checks out the response from
the server would be a new 'window' of valid operation.

I dont know if that what you are looking for, but it might do the job.

Cheers

The Frog
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
jack <user(a)compgroups.net/> wrote:

>I trying to create access stand alone project and in the top of that I need to be able to lock the program something like EULA if they don't pay the monthly payment some kind of authorization form from the client side that can ask the sever in my side every time they open the database… are they authorized to use it Or not? Or any other idea?

What I've done for the Auto FE updater is have a small 200 or so bytes, downloaded
encrypted file. If they've told me they will be sending me a cheque I put an expiry
date in the encrypted ifle. I uploaded it file to my webserve with a nine digit
number as the file name.

I then email the purchased the nine digit number and tell them where to enter that
number whereupon the program will downloaded the encrypted license key file. I then
use an http type of download to download the flie.

Now this is pretty much a one time only thing unless I announce some new features for
which I will require additional payment. (Which will be happening real soon now.)

So what you could do then is check on a daily or weekly basis for an updated copy of
that file.

No special web service required. Just standard website upload and download logic.
Along with using the MS Crypto API to encrypt the file.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Salad on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> jack <user(a)compgroups.net/> wrote:
>

>>I trying to create access stand alone project and in the top of that I need to be able to lock the program something like EULA if they don't pay the monthly payment some kind of authorization form from the client side that can ask the sever in my side every time they open the database… are they authorized to use it Or not? Or any other idea?
>

> What I've done for the Auto FE updater is have a small 200 or so bytes, downloaded
> encrypted file. If they've told me they will be sending me a cheque I put an expiry
> date in the encrypted ifle. I uploaded it file to my webserve with a nine digit
> number as the file name.
>
> I then email the purchased the nine digit number and tell them where to enter that
> number whereupon the program will downloaded the encrypted license key file. I then
> use an http type of download to download the flie.
>
> Now this is pretty much a one time only thing unless I announce some new features for
> which I will require additional payment. (Which will be happening real soon now.)
>
> So what you could do then is check on a daily or weekly basis for an updated copy of
> that file.
>
> No special web service required. Just standard website upload and download logic.
> Along with using the MS Crypto API to encrypt the file.
>
> Tony

I used to have to figure things out with the AutoFE. Took time to read
about the INI file, the settings, typing it in. Now I spend more time
setting up the folders and files for distributing the application. The
changes you made are sweet. Instead of me using brain power to set up
AutoFE it does the work for me. Well done.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote:

>I used to have to figure things out with the AutoFE. Took time to read
>about the INI file, the settings, typing it in. Now I spend more time
>setting up the folders and files for distributing the application. The
>changes you made are sweet. Instead of me using brain power to set up
>AutoFE it does the work for me. Well done.

Thanks, those are the kind words I was looking for when I spent the considerable
amount of time setting up the wizard and update forms and such.

PLEASE, PLEASE let me know if there are any irritations, pain points or questions. I
get so little feedback I'm desparate for all such comments. Feel free to phone the
number on my website as sometimes it's a bit irritating to make your thoughts
coherent for an email.

Interesting enhancements coming in the near future for which I'd like some feedback
and test data. If you like please email me separately and I'll add you to my list of
feedback folks and beta testers.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP