From: Danny Milano on

Hi, I recently came across a very interesting book by
Eric Baird called "Life Without Special Relativity". It
is 400 pages and has over 250 illustrations. The
following is sample excerpt from his web site. Can
someone pls. read and share where he may have gotten it
wrong? Because if he is right. There is possibility SR
is really wrong.

Baird said:

"16.1: Commonly-cited evidence for special relativity

We're told that the experimental evidence for special
relativity is so strong as to be beyond reasonable
doubt: are we really, seriously suggesting that all
this evidence could be wrong? Experimental results
reckoned to support the special theory include:

* E=mc^2

* transverse redshifts

* longitudinal Doppler relationships

* the lightspeed limit in particle accelerators

* the searchlight effect (shared with dragged-light
models and NM)

* "velocity addition" behaviour (shared with dragged-light models and
NM)

* particle tracklengths

* muon detection

* particle lifetimes in accelerator storage rings /
centrifuge time dilation / orbiting clocks

* the failure of competing theories

... we'll be looking at all of these, along with a
couple of important background issues.

16.2: ... E=mc^2

For a long time it seemed to be received wisdom that
the E=mc^2 result was unique to special relativity, We
were told that if special relativity wasn't true then
nuclear bombs and nuclear weapons wouldn't work, and
without SR's prediction of E=mc^2, nuclear fusion
wouldn't operate as it does. Without special
relativity, the Sun wouldn't shine.

And while this was a good story to tell credulous
schoolchildren, it was essentially pseudoscience. The
idea that E=mc^2 "belongs" to SR doesn't hold up to
basic mathematical analysis, and to Einstein's credit
he went on to argue for the wider validity of the
result by publishing further papers that derived the
relationship (or a good approximation of it) from more
general arguments outside special relativity. We also
found in section 2.5 (with working supplied in the
Appendices, Calculations 2), that E=mc^ 2 is an exact
result of NM, if we ignore standard teaching and go
directly to the core mathematics. Not only is the
NM-based derivation of E=mc2 reasonably
straightforward, it's shorter than its SR counterpart,
and it's also part of every hypothetical model in
section 13.

Whiile it's historically understandable that the
equation wasn't widely recognised and embraced until
Einstein came along, its less clear why so many
brilliant physicists with outstanding math skills
continued to insist for so long that the equation
somehow provides cornpelling evidence for the special
theory. Since the math is so straightforward, how were
so many clever physics people caught out? We might have
expected that enough time had passed since 1905 for us
to have checked the math dependencies, not iced the
parallel compatibility with NK and (in a respectable
field of scientific study), made a high-profile
retraction so that we didn't continue to pass
misinformation onto students. But perhaps "E=mc^2
proves special relativity" was just too convenient a
tale for people to want to give it up, regardless of
what the Mathematics really said.

16.3: *Classical Theory" vs. Special Relativity

When we read about experiments that compared the
predictions of SR against those of "Classical Theory",
we can come away thinking that we've been told how SR's
Predictions stack up against most earlier theories (for
instance, Newtonian theory).

This isn't usually the case. When we look at what's
meant by "Classical Theory', in this context, we find
that it's a sort of hybrid. It's a pairing of two sets
of incompatible assumptions and math that have the
advantage for experimenters of (a) being well known and
standardised, and (b) making optical predictions that
are so exceptionally bad that by comparison special
relativity (and almost any other theory) looks very
good indeed.

Did "Classical Theory" ever really exist?

In the context of SR-testing, "Classical Theory" refers
to a mixture of two sets of conflicting assumptions
that didn't work together before SR/LET: "Classical
Theory" uses Newtonian mechanics for the equations of
motion for solid bodies, but for light, CT is
equivalent to assuming an absolute, fixed, "flat"
aether stationary in the laboratory frame. The energy
and momentum relationships of these two different parts
are, of course, irreconcilable ... NM requires the
Doppler relationship to be (c-v)/c, but " Classical
Theory" gives cl(c+v). These aren't compatible. They
never were. If they were, we wouldn't have needed
special relativity.

There doesn't seem to be any single theory that
attempted to combine these two predictions before
LET/SR, or at least, there doesn't seem to have been
anyone prepared to lend their name to one, and in a
subject where people love having things named after
themselves, this should make us suspicious. If
"Classical Theory" doesn't mean "pre-SR theory", then
where did it come from? The phrase appears in
Einstein's explanations of the basis of special
relativity, as a convenient form of words to refer to
two appa rently diverging predictions that special
relativity then reconciled by applying Lorentz effects:
to Einstein, "Classical Theory" represented
incompatible aspects of earlier theories that didn't
work together, but that could be reconciled using
special relativity.

When we're look for a historical counterpart to
Classical Theory there doesn't seem to be anything that
would have made these optical predictions unless we go
all the way back to preGalileo, pre-Newton times, and
posit an absolute aether that permeates space and is
locked to the state of a stationary Earth. That would
give us the "Classical Theory" prediction of "no
transverse redshift" for a laboratory stationary with
respect to the Earth. But every other decrepit old
theory that we can dig up seems to pre dict at least
some sort of transverse redshift effect, sometimes
weaker than SR, sometimes stronger than SR, and
sometimes swinging wildly between the two depending on
the Earth's motion. The one idea that didn't seem to be
considered to be credible during the Eighteenth Century
was the idea that lightspeed was fixed with respect to
the observer, which is presumably why Michelson had so
much grief with his colleagues over his "failed"
aether-drift experiment.

SO, why do we persist in carrying out these "SR vs.
Classical Theory" comparisons if they don't demonstrate
very much? Well, to a cynic, Classical Theory is an
excellent reference to test against, because its
predictions are about as bad as we can get. If we set
aside the theories that predicted time-variant effects,
no other old predictions seem to be quite as bad at to
CT when it comes to predicting real Doppler shifts, and
this makes "CT vs. Theory X" experiments very much
easier to carry out and analyse . Test theory authors
love CT because it meshes well with the chain of
arguments that Einstein used when explaining the
special theory, and experimenters design tests around
the test theories that are available legitimate process
- as long as we don't fool ourselves into thinking that
that the results represent a realistic comparison of
how special relativitys predictions really compared to
those of its predecessors.

16.4:- "Transverse" redshifts

Special relativity tells us that if an object moves
through our laboratory, and we carefully point a
highly-directional detector at right angles to its path
(measured with a "laboratory" set,square), the signal
that manages to register on the detector should be
redshifted (section 6.7).

But the popular "educational" notion that this sort of
redshift outcome is something unique to special
relativity is as best misleading, and at worst ... it's
simply wrong. The equations of newtonian mechanics (or
even the basic equations for audio, properly applied to
the case of a stationary source) don't just predict
redshifts in this situation, they'll often predict
"aberration redshifts" that are stronger than their SR
counterparts (section 6.4), so in a physical sense, the
appearance of redshifts in t his situation isn't just
not unique, it's not even particularly unusual. In
fact, the thing that would be unusual with this sort of
experimental setup would be a theory that didn't
predict some sort of redshift.

Although we tend to regard special relativity's
transverse predictions as conceptually unique,
experimenters have to know when supposed differences
between theories generate physically unambiguous
differences in the readings taken by actual hardware,
and when the differences are more a matter of
interpretation. This distinction isn't always obvious
from the relativity literature.

Einstein's special theory requires these sorts of
"pre-SR" redshifts to exist for its own internal
consistency. The theory must predict the same physical
outcome regardless of which inertia] reference frame we
choose to use for our calculations, so the emitter is
entitled to claim that c is globally fixed for them
(Einstein 1905, 7), and this means that they're
entitled to claim that our relative motion makes us
time-dilated, giving our view of the emitter's signal a
Lorentz blueshift ... so in order for u s to be able to
instead see a Lorentz redshift, propagation-based
effects in this situation - light moving at a constant
speed in the emitter's frame, and arriving at us at an
apparent 90 degrees - must, by default, generate a
Lorentz-squared redshift to allow the same final SR
outcome. This is the right answer (see Calculations 3).

So to fully understand the logical consistency of SR in
this situation requires us to know that similar or
stronger redshifts would appear in the same apparatus
under other light-propagation models. Since different
SR "views" can explain the same redshift component as
the result of (a) conventional aberration effects, (b)
time dilation, or (c) a combination of the two (we're
allowed to try an infinite number of alternative views
from intermediate reference frames), SR requires these
two explanations to be q ualitatively
indistinguishable. Although expert sources may tell us
that "transverse redshifts" are unique to SR, the
theory itse~f tells us otherwise. We can distinguish
SR's "transverse" predictions from those of other
theories by their strength, but a redshift outcome in
this situation doesn't automatically need SR.

The Hasselkamp test

We only seem to have one experiment that set out to
measure the amount of redshift actually seen at 90
degrees to moving material (Hasselkamp et. al., 1979),
and it reported about twice the redshift predicted by
SR, as we'd expect if the older NM equations were
right. This result was nevertheless presented as
supporting SR: the experimenters used a test theory
that compared SR with "Classical Theory" (which
predicted no redshift), and reasoned that the
inexplicable excess redshift must have been due to an a
ccidental detector misalignment. They were then able to
use statistics to argue that, taking into account
possible alignment efforts, the "SR" prediction still
made a significantly better match to the data than "CT"
did.

But subsequent papers verifying that the presumed
misalignment was real, or repeating the experiment
(Perhaps with the help of clever cancellation methods
to eliminate the effects of these sorts of detector
misalignments from further results), don't seem to have
appeared. This Makes it difficult to tell whether the
result really supported the special theory, or
invalidated it.

16.5: ... "Longitudinal" Doppler shifts

The Hasselkamp experiment was unusual - in practice, we
don't normally . try to measure SR's transverse
redshift effect by really aiming a detector at the side
of a moving particle bearn - we find it easier to
measure the forward and rearward Doppler-shifts, and
then calculate the strength of the transverse effect by
comparing them against each other.

This is a nice method ... because it compares two
shifts, the technique makes it easier to cancel out
various types of systemic error, known and unknown, and
these "end-on" readings are less sensitive to the
effect of small angular errors. By comparing the
resulting three sign.("recession-redshifted",
"approach-blueshifted", and an "unshifted" reference
signal), we can derive a characteristic "signature"
that lets us rule out certain relationships without
having to commit to a theory-specific value for the
exact velocity of the particle beam. We can select ,
theory, use one of the shift ratios to calculate what
the velocity would have to have bee. according to that
theory, use this hypothetical velocity value to
"predict" the second shift ratio, and then compare this
against the second set of figures to see how close we
got to the real data.

Ives-stilwell

The best-known of these "non-transverse" transverse
tests is the early 1938 test by Herbert Ives and G. R.
Stilwell, which set out to compare tile predictions of
Lorentz Ether Theory (and SR) against those of
"Classical Theory". Ives and Stilwell's approach was
simple: "Classical Theory" says that the two shifted
signals (red and blue) should change in wavelength by
precisely the same amount, so with all three wavelength
values marked on a linear scale, we'd find perfectly
even spacing between them. If the shift relationships
obeyed the "redder" relationships of SR (or NM) there'd
be an asymmetry.

Ives and Stilwell found a definite offset in the
wavelength values. The simplicity of this experiment
makes it tempting to reanalyse the data for a possible
agreement or disagreement with NM, and when we do this
we find that the stronger offset predicted by N1M
appears to lie outside the data range, by more than the
experimenter's quoted experimental error. This seems to
indicate that the SR predictions are significantly more
accurate than NM.

Further experiments

There've been several more experiments of this type
published since Ives-Stilwell, using more advanced
equipment, more complex optics and higher relative
velocities, and these have supported the predictions of
SR over "Classical Theory" with increasing confidence.
However, when we try to use them to cheek how well they
support SR over NM, we run into difficulties: with
several of these tests, the more complex setup and
calibration techniques make it dangerous to attempt a
safe reanalysis for possibilities t hat weren't
considered in the experimenters' setup procedures ...
in others the quoted error margins seem rather similar
to the margins that wed need to be able to interpret an
'NM" result as a "SR" result ... or extreme accuracy
when making the comparison between SR and CT is
achieved by 1 technique that makes it difficult to
differentiate between SR and NM ... or "excess"
redshifts are explained away as the result of mirror
recoil .

It seems that even with this additional technological
sophistication, our primary evidence for SR's
superiority over NM is still that early Ives-Stilwell
experiment. And since ]at . er experimenters have had
trouble understanding how the test's accuracy could
have been quite as good as the paper said (estimating
accuracy can be difficult when using an experimental
configuration for the first time), we don't yet seem to
have a solid core of experimental results claiming that
that the newer SR Doppler relatio nships really are
more accurate than the NNI set. Perhaps if our
experiments had been devised with this comparison in
mind from the beginning, we might by now have
significant amounts of evidence to point us one way or
the other ... but they weren't, and we don't.

16.6: ... The lightspeed upper limit in particle
accelerators

Another of the results often trotted out as unambiguous
evidence for the validity of special relativity is the
fact that even our best particle accelerators can't
persuade electrically charged particies to move faster
than the background speed of light. As the speed of the
particles approaches background lightspeed, it becomes
progressively more difficult for the fixed accelerator
coils to force them to move any faster. As the speed of
a particle approaches accelerator lightspeed, the
energy that we have to pump through our coils to get an
additional background increase in speed seems to tend
towards infinity. some commentators attach great
significance to this result and argue that the
outlandish scale ,,d sheer brute force required by
modem particle accelerators is an obvious indication
that tile special theory is correct. If we believed in
the equations for light used by "Classical Theory"
(section 16.3), we'd expect these machines to be able
to accelerate particles to far higher speeds, but, in
real life ... this quite clearly isn't the way that
things work. Special relativity wins!

And certainly, special relativity wins when compared to
CT. It just doesn't necessarily win when compared to
other models. From the point of view of the coils, we
can argue that the particle's resistance to
acceleration (and its apparent inertial mass), goes to
infinity as its speed through the accelerator
approaches lightspeed, and we might blame this on the
particle's additional relativistic mass at higher
speeds. But the idea of relativistic mass isn't always
fashionable amongst physicists, so it's handy to have
another way of describing the situation, and we can do
this y describing the experi ment from the point of
view of the particle.

Coupling efficiency

Suppose that our "SR particle" is coasting through a
straight section of accelerator tube at close to
background lightspeed, and we throw more EM energy at
it ... the particle sees the receding accelerator coils
to be redshifted, reducing the frequency, energy, and
radiation pressure of their signals. With the coils
moving away at lightspeed, SR's Doppler relationships
describe this energy and momentum of their fields
disappearing altogether. So the coupling efficiency
between the accelerator coils and the particle drops
toward zero as their relative recession velocity
approaches lightspeed, and with SR we therefore expect
to be able to accelerate the particle towards the speed
of light, but not to it or beyond it. This is what we
see happening in our accelerators. SR wins!

.. Except that, when we try a similar exercise with
the Doppler relationships for other theories, similar
things have a habit of happening. If we try the
"Newtonian" Doppler relationships we find that with fIf
= (c-v)lc, setting the recession velocity to lightspeed
once again gives a frequency (and energy, and coupling
efficiency) of zero. When we directly accelerate a
particle, the lightspeed limit that we usually think of
as a validation of SR also shows up under Nemonian
mechanics, and presumably also under a range of other
theories.

Indirect acceleration

This "direct acceleration" lightspeed barrier can have
different characteristics under different Models: in
the NM version of the story, an unstable particle
travelling at close to background lightspeed can
fragment and throw off daughter particles, some of
which might travel at more than background c. This
effect is related to NM's support for classical
indirect radiation effects ("semi classical Hawking
radiation), and wouldn't seem to be possible under
SR-based Models. Unfortunately, when we start to deal
with the more "particle-y" aspects of particle physics,
quantum effects become relevant, allowing the
appearance of particles in "impossible" situations to
be explained away by ideas such as quantum tunnelling:
even if we found something that looked like evidence of
superluminal daughter particles, by classifying this as
a quantum effect we could probably still get away with
arguing that the result didn't threaten SR.

16.7: The "searchlight" effect

We met the searchlight effect in section 8.2: it's the
tendency of moving bodies to throw more of their signal
forwards rather than trailing it behind them. Special
relativity and NM both apply the same "relativistic
aberration" formula, and the effect also exists (to
various degrees) in different dragged-light models.

This behaviour doesn't happen in the "Classical Theory"
of section 16.3.

16.8: Velocity-addition

Special characteristics for "velocity addition" appear
in a variety of models, including NM (section 14.8),
and usually suggest that the propagation of signals is
being affected by the motion of intermediate objects in
the signal path. Although we usually choose to
interpret th

Fizeau and Zeeman results as supporting SR's
velocity-addition formula, the special theorye match to
the data isn't supposed to be any better than Fresnel's
ancient dragged-light theory. Again, this behaviour
doesn't appear in the "Classical Theory" of section
16.3.

16.9: Particle tracklengths

Since we've brought up the subject of daughter
particles, how do we test how fast they really go?
Let's suppose that we have a particle that's only
supposed to survive for a nanosecond, and we measure
the length of straight-line distance that it covers
between being created and blowing itself to bits. If we
know the particle's "official" decay time, then surely
We can measure the length of its track, and divide that
by the time to get the speed? If this track length was
longer than the distance that particl e would travel at
the background speed of light, wouldn't this mean that
we'd shown that its velocity was superiuminal,
disproving SR? And if the particle tracks were always
shorter than this, wouldn't this support special
relativity?

But things aren't that easy. We're used to thinking of
velocity as an unambiguous property, but since we can't
be in two places at once, the properly often has to be
interpreted. Since special relativity redefines all of
the properties associated with velocity - energy,
momentum, distance and time - fair comparisons between
SR and other theories can become quite convoluted, and
this can make it difficult to tell, when we're using
these agreed, uninterpreted quantities, whether there's
really a physical diff erence between the SR and NM
tracklength predictions.

Special relativity assigns greater energies and momenta
to particles and signals than NM does, by a Lorentz
factor:

NM SR
Momentum p= mv p=mv x gamma
Doppler effect E'/E=(c-v)/c E'/E=(c-v)/c x gamma

, so ... for a high-energy particle moving along a
straight line with constant speed, with a known energy
and/or momentum, Newtonian theory and special
relativity will be assigning consistently different
velocity values to the same particle. The nominal "SR
velocity" value ("vSR") will always be less than
lightspeed, while the nominal 'NM velocity" value
("vNM") will be larger than its SR counterpart by a
Lorentz factor (calculated from vSR)'

When we migrate from NM to special relativity, a
particle's nominal velocity gets reduced by a Lorentz
factor, shortening the distance that the particle would
be expected to travel before decaying. But SR's "time
dilation" effect then predicts an extension of the
particle's lifetime by the same Lorentz factor thanks
to time dilation, lengthening the particle's track by
that same ratio. Because these two corrections exactly
cancel, the particle's decay Position as 3 function of
its energy and momentum is precisely the same for both
theories. The results of both sets of calculations are
necessarily identical.

16:10 Muon Showers

Similar arguments apply when we try to assess evidence
from "cosmic ray" detectors. High energy cosmic rays
hitting the upper parts of the Earth's atmosphere
create showers of short-lived "daughter particles" that
survive for an incredibly short amount of time before
decaying - their lifetimes are so short that even if
they were travelling at the speed of light, we might
think that they still shouldn't be able to reach the
Earth's surface before decaying.

But ground-based detectors do report the detection of
muon showers, and there are two main ways that we can
interpret this result:

SR-based interpretation

According to special relativity, we should explain the
detectors' result by saying that since we "know" that
nothing can travel faster than background lightspeed,
the rations' ability to reach the ground shows that
their decay-times must have been extended, and we
interpret this as demonstrating that the special
theory's time-dilation effects are physically real. We
say that the muons move at a very high proportion of
the speed of light and are time-dilated, and if it
wasn't It for this time-dilation effect , they wouldn't
be able to reach the detectors.

Or ... we could adopt the muon's point of view, and
suggest that the muon is stationary and the Earth is
moving towards it at nearly the speed of light. In this
second SR description, all of the approaching Earth's
atmosphere is able to pass by the muon in time even
though its speed is less than c, because the moving
atmosphere's depth is Lorentz-contracted. These two
different SR explanations (length-contraction and time
dilation) are interchangeable.

NM-based interpretation

But is the success of the SR mtion calculations
significant? Is it significantly different to the
calculations weld have made using earlier theory? When
we compare the tracklengths predicted by SR and NM,
starting from theory-neutral properties, the final
results seem to be identical (section 16.9): for a
given agreed momentum, the mtion's decay point
according to SR would seem to be precisely the same as
the NM prediction - the two models don't disagree on
where the muon decays, they disagree as to whether it
achieves that penetration by travelling at more or less
than background lightspeed, which is more difficult to
establish.

Fast or ultrafast?

Muon bursts seem to be associated with Cerenkov
radiation - the optical equivalent of a supersonic
shockwave - but since lightspeed is slower in air than
in a vacuum, using the Cerenkov effect to show that the
innuons are moving faster than lightspeed in air
doesn't show that they're also moving faster than the
official background speed of light, in a vacuum.

So how do we find the real speed of the muons, given
that we don't have advance warning of when a cosmic ray
is going to strike? With additional airborne muion
detectors we can try to cornpare the detection times in
the air and on the ground, but interpreting this data
neutrally could be difficult: one such experiment
seemed to indicate that the muons were travelling at
more than than Cvacuum (Clay/Crouch 1974), but
subsequent experiments seem to have supported the
opposite position.

Frorn here on, things get muddy. Given that we know
that the record of SR-trained theorists trying to
interpret non-SR theory isn't exactly faultless, it's
difficult to know exactly how to treat this situation
... but there's one thing here that we can be sure of.
When SR textbooks tell us that ground-level muon
detection gives us unambiguous evidence for special
relativity, and tell us that these muons couldn't reach
the ground unless SR was correct, and couldn't bay,
been predicted by earlier theories ... those statements
are wrong.

<snip rest>

16.14: Conclusions Although we're told that the
evidence for special relativity is beyond dispute, much
of the supporting evidence and argument is individually
so patchy that it wouldn't be taken seriously in other
branches of physical science. Or at least, we should
hope that this lack of sceptical scrutiny is unusual,
because otherwise science in general would seem to be
in a great deal of trouble. Almost every general
argument for SR seems to have been missold in some way.

The E=mc^2 relationship wasn't unique to SR after all,
neither were transverse redshifts, and the centrifuge
redshifts that we'd been told had no other explanation
had been predicted from more general gravitational
arguments independently of SR. Although the
experimenters may well have been scrupulously honest,
some of the special theory's more active proponents
seemed to be badly misrepresenting the available
evidence and the mathematics, and their colleagues
seemed to be allowing them to get away with it.

Since most of these mistakes can be found with a little
basic critical analysis, this leaves us wondering
whether the theory's proponents genuinely didn't
realise that what they were saying was wrong or
misleading (in which case the standard of cross-theory
expertise 'S low), or whether they knew that evidence
was being misrepresented, but chose not to raise the
issue. Perhaps people thought that it wasn't so
important if a few of these experiments were over-sold,
because of the sheer breadth of other suppo rting
evidence ... and that even if the SR. dependency of a
few results had been hyped, that the exaggeration was
harmless because mathematics told us that the theory
was right ... but once a "casual" approach to
scientific evidence is allowed to become widespread in
a research subject, and once everybody starts to rely
on the idea that the standards of evidence in
individual cases don't matter so much, it allows the
awful possibility that perhaps every piece of e vidence
used to support the theory might be similarly flawed.
Mistakes will tend to cancel each other out in a
diverse population, but in a monoculture they'll tend
to reinforce one another. If evervone believes that the
number of experiments provides a solid safety margin
for their own work, and if everyone depends on the
existence of that assumed safety margin, then it might
be that the margin doesn't exist.

The experimental record may make a decent case for the
principle of relativity being correct and also gives us
strong evidence against a number of nonrelativistic
models and against simple emission theory ... but when
it comes to establishing whether SR is the correct
implementation of the principle of relativity, things
are less straightforward. If we believe that any
relativistic model must reduce to SR by definition,
we'll tend not to bother testing SR against other
potential relativistic solutions, beca use we won't
believe that they can exist.

The misrepresentation of the evidence for SR means that
we're entitled to be suspicious, but it doesn't mean
that special relativity's relationships are necessarily
wrong. Definitive tests of "SR vs. NM" would seem to
require direct tests of the Doppler relationships
themselves, and in this case we seem to have two basic
experiments, both slightly problematic - One apparently
favouring SR against NM (Ives-Stilwell) and one
apparently favouring NM against SR (Hasselkamp etal.).
If the "NM" Doppler relationsh ips are correct, it
seems incredible that we wouldn't have already noticed
it, but if the SR set are really better, it also seems
incredible that after a century of testing, we wouldn't
yet have a body of results claiming to demonstrate it.
It's hard to find an ' v SR tests where experimenters
claim to have compared the NM Doppler relationships
against the SR set, and found the SR version better -
it's just not something that people tend to do. If the
SR set really is better, then the community really
ought to have been able to find people able to verify
it by now. A century should have been sufficient time.

Which of these relationships is better than the other
at describing the universe we live in?

The honest answer seems to be: we still don't know.

Flip a coin.

From: Sue... on
On Jul 10, 6:41 am, Danny Milano <milanoda...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]
> The honest answer seems to be: we still don't know.
>
> Flip a coin.

Which of the experiments test:

<<,,,Einstein's relativity principle, which states that:

All inertial frames are totally equivalent
for the performance of all physical experiments.

In other words, it is impossible to perform a physical
experiment which differentiates in any fundamental
sense between different inertial frames. By definition,
Newton's laws of motion take the same form in all
inertial frames. Einstein generalized this result in
his special theory of relativity by asserting that all
laws of physics take the same form in all inertial
frames. >>
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node108.html

Sue...

From: Androcles on

"Danny Milano" <milanodanny(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hi, I recently came across a very interesting book by
Eric Baird called "Life Without Special Relativity". It
is 400 pages and has over 250 illustrations. The
following is sample excerpt from his web site. Can
someone pls. read and share where he may have gotten it
wrong? Because if he is right. There is possibility SR
is really wrong.

Welcome to the real world.

Q. Why did Einstein say
the speed of light from A to B is c-v,
the speed of light from B to A is c+v,
the "time" each way is the same?

A. Because he was a ranting lunatic.

See http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dingleberry.htm

There is possibility SR is really totally idiotic, senseless nonsense.

Androcles.

From: Pentcho Valev on
On Jul 10, 2:18 pm, Ian Parker <ianpark...(a)gmail.com> wrote in
sci.physics.relativity:
> On 10 Jul, 11:41, Danny Milano <milanoda...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:> Hi, I recently came across a very interesting  book by
> > Eric Baird called "Life Without Special Relativity". It
> > is 400 pages and has over 250 illustrations. The
> > following is sample excerpt from his web site. Can
> > someone pls. read and share where he may have gotten it
> > wrong? Because if he is right. There is possibility SR
> > is really wrong.
>
> Salaam alekum!
>
> This seems to read very like a buzzword generator. The only
> substantive thing that you have said is the SR is an aether theory. In
> fact Relativity got rid of the aether.
>
> You say "Experimental tests" yet on the basis of aether you seem to be
> talking in a prely philosopical way.
>
> I would ask you
>
> WHAT EXPERIMENTS CONTRADICT SR?
>
> What experiments would tell you the difference between the different
> theories?

Michelson-Morley and Pound-Rebka contradict special relativity.
Michelson-Morley directly confirms Newton's emission theory of light
but you can still save relativity by introducing, ad hoc, miracles -
time dilation, length contraction etc. So in Einstein zombie world a
single experiment can confirm two incompatible theories and
Einsteinians subtract the number of such experiments from the
"enormous" number of experiments that gloriously confirm Divine
Albert's Divine Theory and refute the emission theory. Up until
recently the Pound-Rebka experiment belonged to the latter group but
now Einsteinians suspect that this experiment, like the Michelson-
Morley experiment, confirms the emission theory as well. A
dispassionate and disinterested analysis would show that Pound-Rebka
unambiguously confirms Newton's emission theory of light and refutes
Divine Albert's Divine Theory.

Pentcho Valev
pvalev(a)yahoo.com
From: PD on
On Jul 10, 7:50 am, Pentcho Valev <pva...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2:18 pm, Ian Parker <ianpark...(a)gmail.com> wrote in
> sci.physics.relativity:
>

> > On 10 Jul, 11:41, Danny Milano <milanoda...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:> Hi, I recently came across a very interesting  book by
> > > Eric Baird called "Life Without Special Relativity". It
> > > is 400 pages and has over 250 illustrations. The
> > > following is sample excerpt from his web site. Can
> > > someone pls. read and share where he may have gotten it
> > > wrong? Because if he is right. There is possibility SR
> > > is really wrong.
>
> > Salaam alekum!
>
> > This seems to read very like a buzzword generator. The only
> > substantive thing that you have said is the SR is an aether theory. In
> > fact Relativity got rid of the aether.
>
> > You say "Experimental tests" yet on the basis of aether you seem to be
> > talking in a prely philosopical way.
>
> > I would ask you
>
> > WHAT EXPERIMENTS CONTRADICT SR?
>
> > What experiments would tell you the difference between the different
> > theories?
>
> Michelson-Morley and Pound-Rebka contradict special relativity.

Michelson-Morley in no way contradicts special relativity. You might
say it contradicts special relativity if you take out time dilation
and length contraction, but then again, that ain't special relativity,
is it?

> Michelson-Morley directly confirms Newton's emission theory of light

The emission theory of light is consistent with Michelson-Morley, but
the emission theory of light is inconsistent with OTHER experimental
results. It is not proper to consider experiments in isolation when
evaluating the evidence in support of or against a theory.