From: Kenny McCormack on
I use CPIO to extract files from some old backups. I use the
--no-absolute-filenames option so that I can extract (as a non-root
user) to the current directory (since the archive was made with full
pathnames [starting with /]).

Everything works fine, except that CPIO generates a message:

cpio: Removing leading '/' from member names

for each archive member (of which there are thousands). This is
obviously stupid. The cpio man page is notoriously complex; I was
unable to find an option to turn this warning off. I have kludged
around it by redirecting stderr (not to /dev/null, as one might expect)
and grepping out the "Removing" message. But it seems like there should
be a better way.

The cpio command line that I am using is something like:

cpio --no-absolute-filenames -idvum '*/theFileIWant'

P.S. Please, no flames about cpio or suggested "alternatives". I like
cpio, and always have. Until recently, I never saw this (stupid)
message, so I'm wondering why it has just now popped up.

--
> No, I haven't, that's why I'm asking questions. If you won't help me,
> why don't you just go find your lost manhood elsewhere.

CLC in a nutshell.

From: J G Miller on
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:50:38 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:

> Everything works fine, except that CPIO generates a message:

If you leave off the "v" (for verbose) does it still print the warning?
From: pk on
J G Miller wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:50:38 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>
>> Everything works fine, except that CPIO generates a message:
>
> If you leave off the "v" (for verbose) does it still print the warning?

Or also adding --quiet.

From: Kenny McCormack on
In article <1416523.boISyKVeVy(a)xkzjympik>, pk <pk(a)pk.invalid> wrote:
>J G Miller wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 13:50:38 +0000, Kenny McCormack wrote:
>>
>>> Everything works fine, except that CPIO generates a message:
>>
>> If you leave off the "v" (for verbose) does it still print the warning?

Yes. I had thought of that.

>Or also adding --quiet.

Don't know. Will try. Hadn't thought of that.

From: Keith Keller on
On 2010-06-27, Kenny McCormack <gazelle(a)shell.xmission.com> wrote:

> P.S. Please, no flames about cpio or suggested "alternatives". I like
> cpio, and always have.

I won't flame, but have you considered afio? It creates cpio-compatible
archives unless the archive file itself becomes too big.

--keith

--
kkeller-usenet(a)wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)