From: Frank Elsner on
Hi,

I want to mute the frontspeakers of my laptop only but keep the
headphones output active where my amplifier is connected to.

But when I click on the loadspeaker symbol in the panel and
select "mute" both front speakers and headphone output get muted.

Any pointers to a solution welcome.

--Frank Elsner
From: J G Miller on
On Monday, June 28th, 2010 at 09:15:03h +0200, Frank Elsner explained:

> I want to mute the frontspeakers of my laptop only but keep the
> headphones output active where my amplifier is connected to.

Do you not have a separate line out rather than headphones?

It is not such a good idea to connect the headphone output
to an amplifier because the output for headphones is usually
at a different impedance and level than an audio line out
intended for an amplifier.

> But when I click on the loadspeaker symbol in the panel and select
> "mute" both front speakers and headphone output get muted.

Change the levels for the sound card hardware rather than the
Pulse Audio server.

So if you have but one sound card device (numbering stars from 0)

alsamixer -D hw:0

then change the sliders for the appropriate controls.
From: Frank Elsner on
On 06/28/2010 09:15 AM, Frank Elsner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to mute the frontspeakers of my laptop only but keep the
> headphones output active where my amplifier is connected to.
>
> But when I click on the loadspeaker symbol in the panel and
> select "mute" both front speakers and headphone output get muted.
>
> Any pointers to a solution welcome.

The solution was in http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/95675-centos-5-rhel5-installation-problems-tweaks.html

After putting the line
options snd_hda_intel model=lenovo

into file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf my Lenovo 3000 C200
works as desired.

--Frank Elsner