From: polishedball on
Has anyone ever used an EasyFlash on a sx-64? just wondering if it
works on them with the odd cart port? tia
From: Sam on
Ray Carlsen wrote:

One problem with the User Port (rear panel) is caused by a slight
electrical difference of the SX vs a C64: one of the 9VAC lines is
grounded! Both lines are "floating" in the C64.

Use of modems or the Jason-Ranheim Prominade C1 Eprom Programmer unit
in an unmodified SX can damage the computer. A minor modification to
the computer will prevent that problem. To do it, cut the foil trace
between two pins (19 and 20) of connector P7 on the underside of the
rear panel board. Remove three screws and lift the board up and out,
then turn it over. Interestingly enough, the connection between those
pins from the CBM factory is not on the Commodore schematic!

See the photo: http://staff.washington.edu/rrcc/uwweb/SX64/gnd-cut.jpg

I think you better modify the SX64 and then try the Easyflash.

Regards, SAM
From: polishedball on
The easy flash goes in the cartridge port. http://www.nightfallcrew.com/?p=2206

John

From: Clocky on
Sam wrote:
> Ray Carlsen wrote:
>
> One problem with the User Port (rear panel) is caused by a slight
> electrical difference of the SX vs a C64: one of the 9VAC lines is
> grounded! Both lines are "floating" in the C64.
>
> Use of modems or the Jason-Ranheim Prominade C1 Eprom Programmer unit
> in an unmodified SX can damage the computer. A minor modification to
> the computer will prevent that problem. To do it, cut the foil trace
> between two pins (19 and 20) of connector P7 on the underside of the
> rear panel board. Remove three screws and lift the board up and out,
> then turn it over. Interestingly enough, the connection between those
> pins from the CBM factory is not on the Commodore schematic!
>
> See the photo: http://staff.washington.edu/rrcc/uwweb/SX64/gnd-cut.jpg
>
> I think you better modify the SX64 and then try the Easyflash.

He's talking about the cartridge port, not the user port.

The SX cartridge port differs to that of a regular C64 in that it is
connected internally by a ribbon cable but since it's not buffered it can
cause problems with certain cartridges, especially those that transfer data
at higher speeds.