From: chiefnerd on
Periodically I check ebay to look for interesting Commodore hardware/
software. Is it just me or does it seem like the number of auctions
with ridiculous prices are increasing?

For instance, I found a SID chip with a Buy It Now price of *only*
$129.95. And a C64 motherboard at $59.99. Many pieces of software, in
particular games, from certain sellers seem to be marked up
substantially from others and marked as "rare" in spite of the fact
that they do not seem to be rare at all.

And somebody else is parting out a "working Commodore SX-64 computer"
with a number of auctions for various components. Why would one part
out a perfectly good working SX-64? Rhetorical question: the reason is
money. But to me this just seems *wrong*!
From: David Murray on
> substantially from others and marked as "rare" in spite of the fact
> that they do not seem to be rare at all.

Unfortunately, about 50% of the people who shop on ebay are idiots.
And I think some sellers take advantage of that. For example, I sell
refurbished macs on ebay. I used to sell some of the older vintage
models too, but I eventually had to stop. Because it got to the point
that about 50% of the ones I sold were bought by some person who had
no idea what they were buying. So They'd call me up griping and
complaining about how old it is, or that it won't do whatever they
thought it was going to do. I always advertised it 100% accurately,
but some people just look and see the word "mac" or "apple" and think
that it must be some brand-new product and so they bid on it. Then
when I tell them that it was advertised correctly they start accusing
me of being an evil person or ripping people off because there is no
reason to sell computers on ebay this old other than to deceive
people. I've even been told directly that it doesn't matter that I
listed all of the specifications of the computer, the average person
cannot be expected to know what any of that means. When I try to
explain it is a collectors item or something, they don't believe me.

Still.. I would tend to think anything related to Commodore would have
a buyer more likely to know what they are bidding on since there are
no new Commodore products being sold (at least not any that anyone
cares about)
From: jirvine on
On Apr 6, 8:58 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>I always advertised it 100% accurately,
> but some people just look and see the word "mac" or "apple" and think
> that it must be some brand-new product and so they bid on it.

Too bad we can't see the look on their face when they open the package
expecting a brand new OS X machine and its a Mac Classic in the box!!

From: Leif Bloomquist on

"jirvine" <jirvine(a)vaxxine.com> wrote in message

> Too bad we can't see the look on their face when they open the package
> expecting a brand new OS X machine and its a Mac Classic in the box!!

Reminds me of this!

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

From: Dmackey828 on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 18:31:59 -0400, "Leif Bloomquist"
<spam(a)127.0.0.6400> wrote:

>"jirvine" <jirvine(a)vaxxine.com> wrote in message
>
>> Too bad we can't see the look on their face when they open the package
>> expecting a brand new OS X machine and its a Mac Classic in the box!!
>
>Reminds me of this!
>
>http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Nice Prank.