From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
Since it seems like there's been some interest in C64 video capture again, I thought I'd try to dust off my old QuickScan files. This interface was designed to connect to the monochrome, parallel Connectix* QuickCam, so if anyone still has one or knows where they can be found, this post is for you.

Of particular interest is that I wrote a "loader" plugin for Godot back when I was first working on this stuff, but as I said in the "C64 video capture" thread, I thought that code was lost.

I was wrong - the plugin and source code still exist! Many thanks go to Arndt Dettke for being my long distance, long term backup service. ;-)

The "new" plugin allows one to snap single images and then process and save them in the usual manner with Godot's wide array of tools. As far as I remember, it is stable and fairly user friendly, it just lacks a live feedback function (we ran into technical difficulties at the time). As with the old demo drivers, the Loader plugin was based on the original prototype interface (which should match the one on my website).

In addition, for those who have not been to my website in a while, I also revised the QuickScan prototype itself as well. It now exists in the form of proper schematic and board layout files, suitable to be sent to any reputable board fabrication company such as Olimex.

Interested parties can find all of the project's files, as well as several other projects I've been working on, at this address (in case anyone missed it before):

http://starbase.globalpc.net/~ezekowitz/vanessa/hobbies/projects.html

I'm unable to double-check the driver, so I would appreciate some feedback, as my own camera bit the dust years ago, and my interface disappeared shortly thereafter. I'll replace them both as time permits, if people are indeed still interested (and if I can indeed still find a Quickcam :-) )

If the new plugin doesn't work, please let me know.

[*] Logitech bought Connectix out shortly after my interface was first released, so some of the first monochrome, parallel Quickcams released with their branding may also work, but I can't be sure.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."

From: rich12345 on
On Apr 6, 8:07 pm, Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekow...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> I thought I'd try to dust off my old QuickScan files.

Hi,

is source code available for the driver?
From: RobertB on
wrote:

> [*] Logitech bought Connectix out shortly after my interface was first released, so some of the first monochrome, parallel Quickcams released with their branding may also work, but I can't be sure.

Vanessa, I can't remember the model number of that
Quickcam. Do you have that information?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 24-25 CommVEx v6 2010 - http://www.commodore.ca/forum
and click on ComVEX
From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:16:48 -0700 (PDT)
rich12345 <aiiadict(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> is source code available for the driver?

Yes and no :-)

The main camera "driver" source code is included, and should be practically identical across all of the different modes the archive has. The source code for the 80x50 4-grey 'chunky' rendering engine is included as well. The 160x100 4-grey rendering engine was written by Adrian Gonzalez and also includes source code.

The rendering engines for the two 320x200 modes were contributed by Mark Seelye and Adrian Gonzalez, but they never sent me the sources.

The interface routines between my drivers and those rendering engines also includes source code.

(Mark, Adrian, if you guys are reading this, I wouldn't mind being able to include your source code in a future release, even if it is 10 years late, if you still have it. :-) )

From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 23:44:22 -0700 (PDT)
RobertB <rbernardo(a)iglou.com> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 8:07 pm, Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekow...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > [*] Logitech bought Connectix out shortly after my interface was first
> > released, so some of the first monochrome, parallel Quickcams released
> > with their branding may also work, but I can't be sure.
>
> Vanessa, I can't remember the model number of that
> Quickcam. Do you have that information?

I don't remember if it had a model number at all actually. It was sometimes called the "1.0" camera, as shortly thereafter came the "version 2" line.

I only know it as the "original" B&W Connectix QuickCam, and afaik they all have that rectangular bezel around a fixed focal length lens.

What I did find out just now, while searching the web for a place to buy one of the cameras from (still no luck, not even eBay so far), is that it appears to have used a Texas Instruments TC255 CCD chip.