From: GeoffK on
Hi,

I have textbox that is bound to a field "Task" the data is imported from an
Excel worksheet.
The problem is that the imported data varies dependant on who entered it.
For example: Service, ServiceCall, replace connector, repair cable.

I require a field that would display a constant value i.e. "Service Call"

For each category (Service Calls, Installations, etc) there is mainly 4
variations that are recieved, I have no control over this data input as it is
generated by the 2 companies that I sub-contract to.

Could somebody offer some help.

Regards
GeoffK

From: Steve on
Create an Update Query that updates Task to "Service Call".

Steve
santus(a)penn.com

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
Try the following Update Query:

UPDATE tblImport SET tblImport.Task = "Service Call"
WHERE (((tblImport.Task) In ("Service","ServiceCall","replace
connector","repair cable")));

This assumes your rable name is tblImport. You will need to run an Update
query for each of the categories that you have.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: John W. Vinson on
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:08:01 -0700, GeoffK <GeoffK(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have textbox that is bound to a field "Task" the data is imported from an
>Excel worksheet.
>The problem is that the imported data varies dependant on who entered it.
>For example: Service, ServiceCall, replace connector, repair cable.
>
>I require a field that would display a constant value i.e. "Service Call"

The suggested update queries will work but... how "garbagy" is this data?
Might you also have "Service Call", "Fix cable", "Replace connector and fix
cable", or other kinds of things you'll get from unconstrained freeform input?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: GeoffK on
Arvin & Steve

Thanks for your replies, I have this working fine.

GeoffK