From: Albretch Mueller on
Well, you apparently don't get my point, which was related to qualia
and the hard problem of consciousness. We all quale things in homely
ways and I was amazed that even Einstein was honestly telling was
about some of his own craze in relation to the physical theories he
authored

lbrtchx
{sci.physics.relativity, sci.psychology.misc, alt.philosophy}
From: physics_inquiry on
On Nov 15, 8:07 am, Albretch Mueller <lbrt...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>  I remember once I read some comments from Einstein himself in which
> he somehow said that he could imagine what happen with space/time
> through some weird play with his own fingers. Seriously. I am a
> theoretical physicist myself and to me that was a very weird,
> confusing and unpedagogical thing to hear, but I found it interesting
> nevertheless. It is virtually impossible to search for: Einstein
> fingers and get what you need
>
>  Do you know what I am talking about? Could you help get to the source
> of it?
>
>  Thank you
>  lbrtchx

I don't know about Einstein, but I know Isaac Newton.

Isaac Newton's greatness could have been the sensitivity of his
"feelings" as well as his clarity of thoughts. He could translate what
he feels into quantitative mechanics.
1) friction - he moves his palms (fingers ?) over his study table and
understands the notion of friction.
2) inertial - he imagines sliding over ice over a pond in winter and
understands how without friction, of idealized "smoothness", things
would travel on without change in velocity.
3) force = mass x acceleration - others could have been caught with
force proportional to speed, but Newton ( from 2) above) jumped to d2x/
dt2 and not just dx/dt.
4) action=reaction - Newton's sensitivity would now have missed that
from playing with a rope or bumping his head against a pillar, etc
5) so what he needed was the mathematics of changes (in distance,
speed, space, time). So he invented calculus to put his ideas into
mathematical forms.

So Isaac Newton's greatness may not be just the brain as everyone
imagines, but might as well be his exceptional ability to feel about
everyday phenomena.

From: Androcles on

"physics_inquiry" <physics_inquiry(a)yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
On Nov 15, 8:07 am, Albretch Mueller <lbrt...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember once I read some comments from Einstein himself in which
> he somehow said that he could imagine what happen with space/time
> through some weird play with his own fingers. Seriously. I am a
> theoretical physicist myself and to me that was a very weird,
> confusing and unpedagogical thing to hear, but I found it interesting
> nevertheless. It is virtually impossible to search for: Einstein
> fingers and get what you need
>
> Do you know what I am talking about? Could you help get to the source
> of it?
>
> Thank you
> lbrtchx

I don't know about Einstein, but I know Isaac Newton.

Isaac Newton's greatness could have been the sensitivity of his
"feelings" as well as his clarity of thoughts. He could translate what
he feels into quantitative mechanics.
1) friction - he moves his palms (fingers ?) over his study table and
understands the notion of friction.
2) inertial - he imagines sliding over ice over a pond in winter and
understands how without friction, of idealized "smoothness", things
would travel on without change in velocity.
3) force = mass x acceleration - others could have been caught with
force proportional to speed, but Newton ( from 2) above) jumped to d2x/
dt2 and not just dx/dt.
4) action=reaction - Newton's sensitivity would now have missed that
from playing with a rope or bumping his head against a pillar, etc
5) so what he needed was the mathematics of changes (in distance,
speed, space, time). So he invented calculus to put his ideas into
mathematical forms.

So Isaac Newton's greatness may not be just the brain as everyone
imagines, but might as well be his exceptional ability to feel about
everyday phenomena.

Well said.

From: myspacetime on

--
myspacetime
From: BURT on
On Nov 15, 9:20 am, myspacetime <myspacetime.
5461...(a)physicsbanter.com> wrote:
> Albretch Mueller;1454626 Wrote:> I remember once I read some comments from Einstein himself in which
> > he somehow said that he could imagine what happen with space/time
> > through some weird play with his own fingers. Seriously. I am a
> > theoretical physicist myself and to me that was a very weird,
> > confusing and unpedagogical thing to hear, but I found it interesting
> > nevertheless. It is virtually impossible to search for: Einstein
> > fingers and get what you need
>
> > Do you know what I am talking about? Could you help get to the source
> > of it?
>
> > Thank you
> > lbrtchx
>
> I don't know about Einstein, but I know Isaac Newton.
>
> Isaac Newton's greatness could have been the sensitivity of his
> "feelings" as well as his clarity of thoughts. He could translate what
> he feels into quantitative mechanics.
> 1) friction - he moves his palms (fingers ?) over his study table and
> understands the notion of friction.
> 2) inertial - he imagines sliding over ice over a pond in winter and
> understands how without friction, of idealized "smoothness", things
> would travel on without change in velocity.
> 3) force = mass x acceleration - others could have been caught with
> force proportional to speed, but Newton ( from 2) above) jumped to
> d2x/dt2 and not just dx/dt.
> 4) action=reaction  - Newton's sensitivity would now have missed that
> from playing with a rope or bumping his head against a pillar, etc
> 5) so what he needed was the mathematics of changes (in distance,
> speed, space, time). So he invented calculus to put his ideas into
> mathematical forms.
>
> So Isaac Newton's greatness may not be just the brain as everyone
> imagines, but might as well be his exceptional ability to feel about
> everyday phenomena.
>
> --
> myspacetime

His fingers moved away from each other.