From: Mehrdad on
I needed this too for testing a launcher on my USB flash drive. As I used an old computer without front USB ports and I was too lazy to stand up each time and replug the memory stick I searched for a solution in web. All solutions I found need the Microsoft command line tool DevCon, which is not very straight forward to use, so I tried to find another one. It needs also some clicks, but does without extra tools:

1. push [win]+[Pause] to show the "System Properties" dialog or just pick it from the Control Panel

2. switch to Hardware tab and click on "Device Manager"

3. There you click on "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to open it

4. Below that you see 5 (maybe more or less) items called "USB root Hub". If you know which of them your device is connected to (i.e. through experience) right click it and select "disable", otherwise do that with all of them. WARNING: doing so will disconnect all connected USB devices!

5. Right click the disabled items and select "enable". Your devices are then detected again.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng
From: Opinicus on
<Mehrdad Mirreza> wrote in message news:200911615251mubed(a)web.de...
>I needed this too for testing a launcher on my USB flash drive.
Needed what?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
From: Harry on
On Jan 15, 10:52 pm, Mehrdad Mirreza wrote:
On Jan 15, 10:52 pm, Mehrdad Mirreza wrote:
>I needed this too for testing a launcher on my USB flash drive. As I
>used an old computer without front USB ports and I was too lazy to stand
>up each time and replug the memory stick I searched for a solution in
>web. All solutions I found need the Microsoft command line tool DevCon,
>which is not very straight forward to use [...]

Also, you are too lazy to figure it out yourself.

It works like a charm for my Kingston thumb drive.

D:\> devcon remove *Kingston*
USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_KINGSTON&PROD_DATATRAVELER_2.0&REV_PMAP
\001D92A85EAA5B8B040502A
D&0: Removed
1 device(s) removed.

<-- Windows explorer has the Kingston USB drive letter removed

D:\tmp5\i386> devcon rescan
Scanning for new hardware.
Scanning completed.

<-- Windows explorer has the Kingston USB drive letter
reappeared

From: Mehrdad Mirreza on
@Bob (Opinicus): This was a reply to
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29682755/redetect-a-usb-device-wi.aspx
.. I don't know why it appears in this forum! What I needed is what is written
in the subject: "Eject and re-detect a usb drive without unplugging it"

From: Mehrdad Mirreza on
@Harry: Yes you are right, but I already wrote that I am lazy and my solution
was also for lazy people like me, who don't what to start a command session
and type that letters, but do just some clicks.

I must admit though, that your solution using wildcards has the great
benefit that it doesn't need the Windows Device Manager or nother tools to
get the device ID at all (like proposed by Uwe Sieber in the original thread
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29682755/redetect-a-usb-device-wi.aspx).
So it can be used to automate the "re-plugging" process using a batch file,
which then reduces the work to a doubleclick.

But I still remain with my solution as the easiest one :)

- MiMe