From: Michael Shergold on
On 20/06/2010 20:58, 123Jim wrote:
> "Michael Shergold"<michael.shergold(a)clara.net> wrote in message
>
>> Both my drives (G:& H:) are fine and work perfectly once disks are loaded
>> but I can no longer change disks while operating XP.
>> I have to re-start XP and change the disks before XP starts..
>> They work perfectly under Linux (Mint8) although that is no longer
>> installed and I've recently tested using the LIVE CD
>>
>> I've today disabled all start-up programs, re-booted and killed some
>> processes that might be causing a problem but to no avail.. This has been
>> happening for at least six months so I suspect some update at some has
>> caused the problem.. The machine is fully up to date and so is the
>> antivirus (Avast) definitions and scans etc. Both drive normally have a
>> RAM drive and a R/W CD in which I uses for important backups and downloads
>> so I rarely use the eject button but needed to yesterday again as I was
>> installing NAS software from CD etc..
>> Googling on the problem led to several hits but all assuming drive
>> mechanical or electrical failure.. That is not my case.
>> Any other suggestions please..
>> Michael
>>

> Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrom-lock/
> It should allow you to open your drives in a windows GUI way.
>
> I suppose you have already tried to update the drivers in device manager ..
> probably there is no update available. .. anyway, above is a reasonable work
> around until one day windows gives you back your button ;)

Many thanks Jim for this link.. not only does it do as it says but it
also allowed me to completely fix the problem by setting 'Unlock' and
now I can power off and on into Windows XP and the eject key and command
seem to work perfectly as before.. Perhaps another fix would have been
to disconnect from power completely for an hour or so to allow the
mother board to reset..
Anyway thanks again replying and for the link..
Michael
From: Michael Shergold on
On 20/06/2010 20:58, 123Jim wrote:
> "Michael Shergold"<michael.shergold(a)clara.net> wrote in message
>
>> Both my drives (G:& H:) are fine and work perfectly once disks are loaded
>> but I can no longer change disks while operating XP.
>> I have to re-start XP and change the disks before XP starts..
>> They work perfectly under Linux (Mint8) although that is no longer
>> installed and I've recently tested using the LIVE CD
>>
>> I've today disabled all start-up programs, re-booted and killed some
>> processes that might be causing a problem but to no avail.. This has been
>> happening for at least six months so I suspect some update at some has
>> caused the problem.. The machine is fully up to date and so is the
>> antivirus (Avast) definitions and scans etc. Both drive normally have a
>> RAM drive and a R/W CD in which I uses for important backups and downloads
>> so I rarely use the eject button but needed to yesterday again as I was
>> installing NAS software from CD etc..
>> Googling on the problem led to several hits but all assuming drive
>> mechanical or electrical failure.. That is not my case.
>> Any other suggestions please..
>> Michael
>>

> Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrom-lock/
> It should allow you to open your drives in a windows GUI way.
>
> I suppose you have already tried to update the drivers in device manager ..
> probably there is no update available. .. anyway, above is a reasonable work
> around until one day windows gives you back your button ;)

And another thing..... This is the perfect program if you have a 18
month year old plus inquisitive child who likes to press buttons and
fish out (or jam in) CD/DVDs and cause little LED lights to come on and
go off.. My grandson fits this description but I now have another
little trick until he figures it out....
take care and thanks again
Michael (still trying to figure out what caused both drives to lock in
the first place)