From: Nicolas Neuss on
Teemu Likonen <tlikonen(a)iki.fi> writes:

> I think Common Lisp would be a great choice but I don't think there is
> much hope for it. It seems that Emacs developers want to use Guile
> (GNU's own Scheme implementation) instead. Guile aims to support Emacs
> Lisp but I believe that in practice it would be a quite much more
> backwards-incompatible change than line-move-visual=t. :-)

Agreed. Unfortunately, RMS has kept some trauma from his first exposure
to Common Lisp. And the Hyperspec is not under the GDL...

> Here are links to some Guile-related discussions in emacs-devel mailing
> list earlier this year:
>
> "Guile in Emacs"
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121291/focus=121734
>
> "guile and emacs and elisp, oh my!"
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/123666
>
> "Logistics of Using Guile"
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/124089
>
> But if you seriously want to have a part in this game you need to
> subscribe to emacs-devel and express yourself there:

Thanks for the links. I looked at the first one and saw that luckily
there are already a few CLers keeping up our flag there.

Nicolas
From: Leo on
On 2010-06-15 21:13 +0100, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> I think Common Lisp would be a great choice but I don't think there is
> much hope for it. It seems that Emacs developers want to use Guile
> (GNU's own Scheme implementation) instead. Guile aims to support Emacs
> Lisp but I believe that in practice it would be a quite much more
> backwards-incompatible change than line-move-visual=t. :-)

I just read the links you posted.

There are some people from guile camp strongly arguing for guile while
none of important figures in the common lisp camp does that. There were
at one episode discussing re-using the HyperSpec. I wouldn't entirely
rule out the possibility of common lisp.

Leo
From: Teemu Likonen on
* 2010-06-16 13:37 (+0100), Leo wrote:

> I just read the links you posted.
>
> There are some people from guile camp strongly arguing for guile while
> none of important figures in the common lisp camp does that. There
> were at one episode discussing re-using the HyperSpec. I wouldn't
> entirely rule out the possibility of common lisp.

Perhaps not completely but the political camp tends to win in FSF and
core GNU circles. In my opinion they sometimes they make stupid choices
because of politics. My bet is that the real options for Emacs language
are (1) continue to use (and possibly improve a bit) the current Emacs
Lisp or (2) switch to Guile.