From: John on
I have a user who is trying to receive a 10MB email from a university. She
states that she didn't receive it and it didn't bounce back to the sender.
I checked her mail limits and she can send and receive up to 20MB. As a
test, I sent her a 13MB file from my Yahoo account and it hasn't arrived
either and I haven't seen the email bounce back.

I have Exchange 2003. Could the emails still be floating around on the
Internet or is my server deleting them without delivering them?

Thanks,

John

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:32:45 -0400, "John" <bsmith(a)aol.com> wrote:

>I have a user who is trying to receive a 10MB email from a university. She
>states that she didn't receive it and it didn't bounce back to the sender.
>I checked her mail limits and she can send and receive up to 20MB. As a
>test, I sent her a 13MB file from my Yahoo account and it hasn't arrived
>either and I haven't seen the email bounce back.
>
>I have Exchange 2003. Could the emails still be floating around on the
>Internet or is my server deleting them without delivering them?
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

Have you looked at the global limits? IIRC - and yes, it's been 5
years or more, there's a 10MB limit on the SMTP at the gateway.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:32:45 -0400, "John" <bsmith(a)aol.com> wrote:

>I have a user who is trying to receive a 10MB email from a university. She
>states that she didn't receive it and it didn't bounce back to the sender.
>I checked her mail limits and she can send and receive up to 20MB. As a
>test, I sent her a 13MB file from my Yahoo account and it hasn't arrived
>either and I haven't seen the email bounce back.
>
>I have Exchange 2003. Could the emails still be floating around on the
>Internet or is my server deleting them without delivering them?

It's possible the message was accepted by your server, found to exceed
the maximum allowed message size, and no NDR was sent.

There are a few things that have to be happen for that to happen,
though.

One set of circumstances might be:

.. The sender's system uses SMTP instead of ESMTP. Your system will
accept the entire message.

.. Your system is configured to NOT send NDRs.

Another is:

.. The sender's system uses SMTP instead of ESMTP. Your system will
accept the entire message.

.. The receiving system doesn't accept your NDR (which is unlikely
since you say it happens with multiple sending systems).

I'd go with the 1st set of circumstances, but your SMTP protocol logs
would be the place to look to verify that SMTP was used (the sending
system would send "HELO" instead of "EHLO"). The properties of the
"Default" item in the "Internet Message Formats" container in the
"Global Settings" is where to check whether you send NDRs or not.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP