From: AG on
Hi all

I have a guest account on my machine and want to enable that user to
access that profile from another Debian machine on my LAN. This task is
called remote networking, right? And as far as I can tell OpenSSH is
probably the way to go. How can I give this user the experience (i.e.
desktop, icons, files, etc.) from the LAN machine that they would get if
they were logged in directly?

I'm sure that this is reasonably straight forward, but I can't seem to
find a coherent answer in a language I can understand. I'm not hugely
technical and most docs that I've come across seem to assume computer
wizardry above my ability. I'm not expecting others to do the work, but
just would appreciate a sign-post to some decent (newbie-friendly?)
documents that will enable me to give a remote user a local experience
of their user account while retaining a reasonable degree of security.

Any ideas? Thanks very much

AG

On 08/13/2010 01:51 PM, AG wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a guest account on my machine and want to enable that user to
> access that profile from another Debian machine on my LAN. This task is
> called remote networking, right? And as far as I can tell OpenSSH is
> probably the way to go. How can I give this user the experience (i.e.
> desktop, icons, files, etc.) from the LAN machine that they would get if
> they were logged in directly?

Using ssh will not give you the "full" desktop experience. In normal
use, you just get a line/text oriented, terminal interface.

You can enable "ForwardX11" and "ForwardX11Trusted" in ~/.ssh/config and
get ssh to create a DISPLAY value for the remote that will point back to
your machine. You could then type in some graphical command, such as
'iceweasel' and it would open using your local display. This does mean
you must be running an X server on the local machine, which is not
necessarily the case if the local machine runs a Windows or Mac OS.

> I'm sure that this is reasonably straight forward, but I can't seem to
> find a coherent answer in a language I can understand. I'm not hugely
> technical and most docs that I've come across seem to assume computer
> wizardry above my ability. I'm not expecting others to do the work, but
> just would appreciate a sign-post to some decent (newbie-friendly?)
> documents that will enable me to give a remote user a local experience
> of their user account while retaining a reasonable degree of security.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks very much

I think you want to enable remote graphical login via kdm/gdm. I'm not
sure how to set this up, but the man pages for kdm and gdm both mention
"remote" logins using the XDMCP protocol.

Perhaps this will at least give you a starting place for searching.

--
Bob McGowan

Two Debian machines on a LAN, i'd go for XDMCP - it'll give you the
"remote desktop" feel. It's not that hard, just changing a few values
in text files. If you're using GNOME or KDE it'll probably be easier.

Keyword: XDMCP.