From: Skybuck Flying on
Hello,

Here is a whacky idea:

Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?

So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Sylvia Else on
On 12/04/2010 9:45 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a whacky idea:
>
> Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?
>
> So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Is that before or after you include the energy used by the program
that's showing you the energy usage?

In any case, the energy used by an application is not so clearly
defined. You could in principle measure the increase in energy used by
the computer as a result of running the program, but some of that
increase will be the result of interactions (such as memory, cache or
disk contention) with other programs. That is - stop another program,
and then run the program of interest again - and you could find that it
causes a lower increase than before.

It doesn't appear to be a very useful thing to measure.

Sylvia.

From: D Yuniskis on
Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a whacky idea:
>
> Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?

Possible -- to what level of accuracy?

My multimedia RTOS has hooks that allow the OS to signal
applications as to the level of resource usage that it
should indulge (to conserve "power", processing power
and/or memory resources). This allows me to extend battery
life dynamically without prior knowledge of which
applications may be running at any given time.

(I don't think this is a novel idea. I think I have
taken it to a level of detail that other RTOS's have
previously neglected -- but, given time, that should change)

> So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of showing the user this information.
I'm not sure they could appreciate it sufficiently to know
how to *use* it (to, for example, prolong battery usage).
It seems a significant cognitive task to try to offload
onto the user.

Rather, I felt it smarter to let the design of the applications
keep this in mind so they can adapt their algorithms to the
resources that the RTOS considers "precious".
From: Skybuck Flying on

"Sylvia Else" <sylvia(a)not.at.this.address> wrote in message
> On 12/04/2010 9:45 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a whacky idea:
>>
>> Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?
>>
>> So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>

> Is that before or after you include the energy used by the program that's
> showing you the energy usage?
>
> In any case, the energy used by an application is not so clearly defined.
> You could in principle measure the increase in energy used by the computer
> as a result of running the program, but some of that increase will be the
> result of interactions (such as memory, cache or disk contention) with
> other programs. That is - stop another program, and then run the program
> of interest again - and you could find that it causes a lower increase
> than before.
>
> It doesn't appear to be a very useful thing to measure.

I was thinking myself along the following lines:

Mostly the cpu's energy consumption would be measured... it might do so on
an instruction-to-instruction basis... but it would need to know what
application or system component/kernel it belongs too...

I had this idea after reading the absurd constraints by "Steve Jobs" on
programming the iPhone... He being worried that "non apple development
tools" would create bad iPhone applications ?! Speculation is that he is
worried about "Slow applications", "Bad applications" and "Energy hungry
applications".

"Steve" seems to be "be-litting" his own users ;) :)

Instead how about giving the users more insight into the functioning of the
device by: "Task manager like thingy" and "energy like thingy" ;)

Then users can decide for themselfes if they want or do not want to run
energy hogs, and system hogs etc ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

From: Skybuck Flying on

"D Yuniskis" <not.going.to.be(a)seen.com> wrote in message
> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Here is a whacky idea:
>>
>> Would it be possible to measure the energy usage per application ?
>
> Possible -- to what level of accuracy?
>
> My multimedia RTOS has hooks that allow the OS to signal
> applications as to the level of resource usage that it
> should indulge (to conserve "power", processing power
> and/or memory resources). This allows me to extend battery
> life dynamically without prior knowledge of which
> applications may be running at any given time.
>
> (I don't think this is a novel idea. I think I have
> taken it to a level of detail that other RTOS's have
> previously neglected -- but, given time, that should change)
>
>> So that a user could easily see it... like the windowss' task manager ?
>
> Hmmm... I hadn't thought of showing the user this information.
> I'm not sure they could appreciate it sufficiently to know
> how to *use* it (to, for example, prolong battery usage).
> It seems a significant cognitive task to try to offload
> onto the user.

I was thinking along the lines of a simple "percentage indication".

Somehow the system or cpu would know what the maximum energy consumption of
the device is...
(This could be pre-determined or it could also be measured as an "absolute
max" and/or "moving max" over time...)
(Or a percentage of the currenty total usage)

Therefore it should be possible to calculate a "usage percentage" per
application.
(Application Energy Percentage = (Application measurement / (Total or Max)
Measurement) * 100;

So I already described two modes:

1. The absolute would be interesting to see how much the system is being
stressed to it's absolute maximum point.
For example if total energy usage is only 1% of maximum system energy then
that's pretty good.

2. The current sitution would be interesting to see which application is
currently the biggest energy hog relative to the others.
This mode could further analyze that last 1% to see what is the biggest
hog... to try and cut it down even further ;)
This mode would be best which would prevent system builders from setting the
maximum in 1 unrealistically high... so current/actual measurements
are much more trust worthy ?! ;) :)

The user can then decide if he likes or does not like the application ;)

And if he/she wants or does not want to run it... or find an alternative ;)

It could also be usefull for data centers that want to safe on energy bills
and want developers to develop energy efficient application for as far as
possible.

Developers themselfes could also want to do that to try and prevent
"thermal/overheat/noise/dust" issue's ;)

> Rather, I felt it smarter to let the design of the applications
> keep this in mind so they can adapt their algorithms to the
> resources that the RTOS considers "precious".

Bye,
Skybuck :)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2