From: Brian Roden on
Our Mac users are getting new Snow Leopard machines, and upgrading from
Office2004 to Office2008 in the process. The Mac techs have applied all
Office2008 patches. We're getting the error about the root certificate.

Our e-mail domain is leisurearts.com. But our in-house servers, including
Exchange2007, are all leisurearts.net (.com is reserved for our
consumer-facing web site managed through public DNS). Even externally, we
access OWA on a leisurearts.net URL. Our SSL certs on the Exchange servers
are all for leisurearts.net, and that is the domain used in the Entourage
settings (e.g.,
https://mailgateway.leisurearts.net/exchange/user(a)leisurearts.com )

The error about the root certificate not being installed refers to
leisurearts.com, which is not a domain included in either SSL certificate on
our Exchange servers (we have a mailbox server and a hub transport server,
which is the one with the public internet connection for inbound/outbound
SMTP traffic).

Is this domain-ending difference a cause for the error?

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Sure sounds like it.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Brian Roden on
So is the solution to get an additional SSL certificate for the hub transport
server? Do I get a wildcard for *.leisurearts.com, or can I just get the one
for autodiscover.leisurearts.com? This hasn't been an issue until now,
because on the PC side we're still using Office 2003 (when we installed
Exchange 2007, we still had a lot of Win2K stations, which couldn't take
Office 2007, so we kept our Office environment homogeneous) and autodiscover
wasn't introduced until Outlook2007.

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Seriously, I think the best answer is for you to implement a split-brain DNS
and use the same domain externally and internally for Exchange services.
That is, add leisurearts.com to your internal DNS and populate it with
internal IP addresses for hostnames.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Brian Roden on
That would involve renaming our AD domain, with all the attendant changes. IS
there not a way to make Entourage bypass Autodiscover and work like the
previous version?