From: Arthur Entlich on
A few thoughts.

Although your printer is out of warranty, the cartridges you purchased
weren't.

Are you sure when the fourth cartridge is put in that the problem is no
recognition of all cartridges? Could it be you are getting another
error message such as your printer's waste ink pads are full?

Can you describe exactly: what LEDS are one/off flashing (please
describe how they are flashing, if they are: Speed, sequencing, number
of flashes, etc.

Any printed text messages on screen

What your ink monitor window is showing.

Epson uses the ink monitor graphic to indicate error conditions by
showing one or more of the items ghosted out, missing, crossed out, etc.

Art

From: fraxinusalba on

Jan - new cartridges from Epson didn't work either. I now have 3 sets
of cartridges and have same problem with all of them. The original set
I replaced still had a little life left but they are no longer
recognized when all four are inserted. Since they were working before
but are not now recognized, I don't think its a cartridge chip
problem.

Art - yes, I'm sure the problem is only after the 4th cartridge is
installed. I have put each of the 12 cartridges I have in the printer
individually. All 8 new cartridges are recognized by the printer and
indicate they are 100% full. The 4 used cardridges show the same low
ink levels as when they were replaced. I can put any 2 cartridges in
the printer and they are recognized and show appropriate ink levels.
Same thing with any 3 ink cartridges. As soon as I install the 4th
cartridge, Status Monitor says all 4 cartridges are not recognized and
has a big red X over each ink level indicator.

After installing the 4th cartridge in printer, green power LED and red
ink LED blink steadly until print head "settles". Then, green power
LED is on steady, yellow error LED is off, red ink LED is on steady.
Status Monitor pops up and says "Ink cartridges are not recognized". A
big red X is shown over each color of ink level indicator. No other
error messages.

If I remove any one of the ink cartridges, same thing occurs except
Status Monitor displays the ink level in the remaining 3 cartridges
with a red X over whichever color was removed.

For example, I install all four cartridges in printer. Status Monitor
says "Ink cartidges are not recognized" and red X over all four ink
level indicators. I remove the black cartridge. Status Monitor says
"Ink cartridges not recognized". Yellow, cyan, magenta ink level
indicators show these cartridges are full. Red X over black ink level
indicator. I then reinsert the black cartridge just removed and take
out the yellow cartridge. Status Monitor then says "Ink cartridges not
recognized". Black, cyan, magenta ink level indicators show these
cartridges are full and a red X is over the yellow ink level
indicator.

I don't think the waste ink pad counter is at its limit. I only use
the CX4200 to make color printouts, copy, or scan since I have an HP
LaserJet to print anything text or just in black and white. Also, I
installed the SSC Service Utility and it says the waste counter is at
8000 out of 36000.

Thanks to both of you for your continued effort to help.

--
fraxinusalba
From: Jan Alter on
"fraxinusalba" <fraxinusalba.e6cd99(a)computerbanter.com> wrote in message

> Jan - new cartridges from Epson didn't work either. I now have 3 sets
> of cartridges and have same problem with all of them. The original set
> I replaced still had a little life left but they are no longer
> recognized when all four are inserted. Since they were working before
> but are not now recognized, I don't think its a cartridge chip
> problem.
>
> Art - yes, I'm sure the problem is only after the 4th cartridge is
> installed. I have put each of the 12 cartridges I have in the printer
> individually. All 8 new cartridges are recognized by the printer and
> indicate they are 100% full. The 4 used cardridges show the same low
> ink levels as when they were replaced. I can put any 2 cartridges in
> the printer and they are recognized and show appropriate ink levels.
> Same thing with any 3 ink cartridges. As soon as I install the 4th
> cartridge, Status Monitor says all 4 cartridges are not recognized and
> has a big red X over each ink level indicator.
>
> After installing the 4th cartridge in printer, green power LED and red
> ink LED blink steadly until print head "settles". Then, green power
> LED is on steady, yellow error LED is off, red ink LED is on steady.
> Status Monitor pops up and says "Ink cartridges are not recognized". A
> big red X is shown over each color of ink level indicator. No other
> error messages.
>
> If I remove any one of the ink cartridges, same thing occurs except
> Status Monitor displays the ink level in the remaining 3 cartridges
> with a red X over whichever color was removed.
>
> For example, I install all four cartridges in printer. Status Monitor
> says "Ink cartidges are not recognized" and red X over all four ink
> level indicators. I remove the black cartridge. Status Monitor says
> "Ink cartridges not recognized". Yellow, cyan, magenta ink level
> indicators show these cartridges are full. Red X over black ink level
> indicator. I then reinsert the black cartridge just removed and take
> out the yellow cartridge. Status Monitor then says "Ink cartridges not
> recognized". Black, cyan, magenta ink level indicators show these
> cartridges are full and a red X is over the yellow ink level
> indicator.
>
> I don't think the waste ink pad counter is at its limit. I only use
> the CX4200 to make color printouts, copy, or scan since I have an HP
> LaserJet to print anything text or just in black and white. Also, I
> installed the SSC Service Utility and it says the waste counter is at
> 8000 out of 36000.
>
> Thanks to both of you for your continued effort to help.
>

> --
> fraxinusalba

Please take a look at the cartridge chambers. Inspect them carefully. Is
there anything protruding from any of them? When you place the cartridge cap
back down is it hard to do? My thought is that if there is something that is
not fitting correctly once the cap is snapped down then one of the chip
wires stops making contact correctly. It only appears to happen with 4
cartridges places in the chamber,
If this still isn't the issue then I'm foibled to believe a cb has failed
and needs replacement. That of course means it's unfortunately not worth the
money you'd have to pay for the repair compared to getting a new printer.

sigh,

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf(a)verizon.net

From: Arthur Entlich on
Well, I'm baffled. It's something outside of my experience, and could
be any of dozens of problems. A short somewhere, a firmware corruption.

Sorry, I honestly don't know where to send you in this regard.

I would make sure all cartridge sensing wires are properly placed,
properly bent and clean, just as a consideration.

Art

From: fraxinusalba on

Everything in the printhead is in good order. I disassenbled the
printer so I could inspect the cartridge contacts closely. None are
bent or dirty. Even checked the flat cables from print head to control
board for damage and all are in good shape and no loose connections.

I'm convinced the problem is in the control board. Only option at this
point is probably to replace the printer. Control board probably costs
more than 2 printers way parts are these days. Manufacturers want you
to replace products instead of fix them.

--
fraxinusalba