From: ander on
I have windows vista home premium SP2. I cannot install Update KB978207. I
tried all 4 methods suggested on MS website: (1) restart, (2) safe mode, (3)
clean boot, (4) disable firewall/antivirus. None worked - continued to get
error message 0x80070020.

I then manually downloaded Update KB978207, and tried to install again in
safemode. Got error 0x8007043c "this service cannot be started in safe
mode".

Apparently, this update is "critical" for Vista users. How do I get it
installed?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Detect & remove the hijackware blocking the install of the update?

Or perhaps see the "How to obtain help" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978207?

From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Ander,

Just out of curiosity, are you running SpyBot S&D's "teatimer" ?

From: ander on
I've already visited the help pages of the website. That's where it was
suggested I try the 4 methods - which I tried to no avail.

From: ander on
No. Not to my knowledge.