From: Remi on
XP-Home Sp2 IE7
I do have all times the error message: 0x800704DD.

IE7 resetted to standard, no virus etc. found (different progs).
ZoneAlarm deinstalled totally (including registry)
Now i found this:
Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341

it says in B step 2:
Expand the following registry subkey:

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn
On my system in
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
i only have \crypt32chain and \cryptnet but no folder \Senslogn

But there is another Folder :
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_disabled
containing ...\Senslogn and al the items mentioned in kb910341.

Is this wrong and maybe the reason for the error 0x800704DD and what can i
do to fix the problem??
I dont feel happy to reinstall my system (takes about 2 weeks....:-((( )
Thanks for any help

Remi

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Remi wrote:

> XP-Home Sp2 IE7
> I do have all times the error message: 0x800704DD.
>
> IE7 resetted to standard, no virus etc. found (different progs).
> ZoneAlarm deinstalled totally (including registry)
> Now i found this:
> Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
> updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web
> site, or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," "0x80240020," or both:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910341
>
> it says in B step 2:
> Expand the following registry subkey:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn
> On my system in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\
> i only have \crypt32chain and \cryptnet but no folder \Senslogn
>
> But there is another Folder :
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify_disabled
> containing ...\Senslogn and al the items mentioned in kb910341.
>
> Is this wrong and maybe the reason for the error 0x800704DD and what can i
> do to fix the problem??
> I dont feel happy to reinstall my system (takes about 2 weeks....:-((( )
> Thanks for any help
>
> Remi

Apparently, that's what is causing the error message. Question is, how
did they get moved to Notify_disabled ?

You can open compare the keys in Notify_disabled to the keys from my XP
Pro box and see if they're the same:

"DLLName"="WlNotify.dll"
"Lock"="SensLockEvent"
"Logon"="SensLogonEvent"
"Logoff"="SensLogoffEvent"
"Safe"=dword:00000001
"MaxWait"=dword:00000258
"StartScreenSaver"="SensStartScreenSaverEvent"
"StopScreenSaver"="SensStopScreenSaverEvent"
"Startup"="SensStartupEvent"
"Shutdown"="SensShutdownEvent"
"StartShell"="SensStartShellEvent"
"PostShell"="SensPostShellEvent"
"Disconnect"="SensDisconnectEvent"
"Reconnect"="SensReconnectEvent"
"Unlock"="SensUnlockEvent"
"Impersonate"=dword:00000001
"Asynchronous"=dword:00000001

If they match, what you could do is create a .reg file with the above
but *FIRST*, export the keys in Notify_disabled by right clicking it and
choosing Export. Save them to the Desktop as Notify_disabled.

Next, open Notepad. Copy and paste ALL of the below into it making sure
that Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 is at the very top:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\SensLogn]
"DLLName"="WlNotify.dll"
"Lock"="SensLockEvent"
"Logon"="SensLogonEvent"
"Logoff"="SensLogoffEvent"
"Safe"=dword:00000001
"MaxWait"=dword:00000258
"StartScreenSaver"="SensStartScreenSaverEvent"
"StopScreenSaver"="SensStopScreenSaverEvent"
"Startup"="SensStartupEvent"
"Shutdown"="SensShutdownEvent"
"StartShell"="SensStartShellEvent"
"PostShell"="SensPostShellEvent"
"Disconnect"="SensDisconnectEvent"
"Reconnect"="SensReconnectEvent"
"Unlock"="SensUnlockEvent"
"Impersonate"=dword:00000001
"Asynchronous"=dword:00000001

Then click File > Save as > and set the " Save as type: " to All Files.
Name it SensLogn.reg
Now click Save.
Close Notepad.

Delete Notify_disabled now. You still have a backup of it on the
Desktop, just in case <w>

*Right* click SensLogn.reg and choose Merge.
Restart the system and see if it can update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
From: Remi on
Hello and thank you for your help!

> Apparently, that's what is causing the error message. Question is, how did
> they get moved to Notify_disabled ?

No idea how Notify_disabled came in there...

> You can open compare the keys in Notify_disabled to the keys from my XP
> Pro box and see if they're the same:
They are the same

> choosing Export. Save them to the Desktop as Notify_disabled.
ok.

> Next, open Notepad. Copy and paste ALL of the below into it making sure
> Then click File > Save as > and set the " Save as type: " to All Files.
> Name it SensLogn.reg
> Now click Save.
>..
> Delete Notify_disabled now. You still have a backup of it on the Desktop,
> just in case <w>
>
> *Right* click SensLogn.reg and choose Merge.
If i understand correctly i merge SensLogn into \Notify\
but what happens with the other (x) folders in Notify_Disabled ??:
(x)-crypt32chain
(x)-cryptnet
(x)-cscdll
(x)-ScCertProp
(x)-Schedule
(x)-sclgntfy
-SensLogn
(x)-termserv
(x)-wlballoon

Do i see it correct saying; export Notify_Disabled to the desktop as
Notify_Disabled.reg and make a security-copy of it.
Open Notify_Disabled.reg with Notepad and change all \Notify_Disabled to
\Notify
Save changes
Rename Notify_Disabled.reg in Notify.reg
Delete Notify_Disabled (registry)
Merge Notify.reg
Restart and wonder :-))

Remi

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
Merge SensLogn.reg
*Delete* 'Notify_disabled' by right clicking it and choosing Delete.
Restart.

There is no need to Edit 'Notify_disabled' if the Value Names and Value
Data match the ones in 'Notify_disabled', which you said they do.
And, it's safely backed up, just in case.

I'm not so sure that malware caused this issue as ZoneAlarm may have set
those subkeys to force WU to go through it rather then access WU without
bypassing ZA. The correct settings may have been included in ZA's reg
entries.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

From: MowGreen [MVP] on
CORRECTION: There is no need to Edit the subkeys in 'Notify_disabled' if
the Value Names and Value Data match the ones in 'SensLogn' from my
system, which you said they do.