From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[We saw your first two replies]

From: Bruce Kovacs on
Sorry about the multiple posts, but yesterday each time I hit the Post
button, I got an error message saying the site was temporarily unavailable.
I thought the message did not go through.

From: MowGreen on
I'm not sure which post to reply to. Maybe one of these days MS will fix
the NNTP to web-based forums to social.answer forums "bridge" ?

Suggest you clean boot the system to rule out interference from 3rd
party software (antivirus/security suite/firewall/etc):

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

If you feel comfortable doing the steps yourself, do
'Method 2: Manually starting XP with a clean boot (advanced user only)'.
Otherwise, use the Guided Help.
Once the system is in the clean boot state, ensure that the native XP
firewall is Enabled and revisit Microsoft Update to see if the system
can opt into it now.
If it can, then the installed security software was causing the regsvr32
issue.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten