From: Dennis Rose on
I am using VB5 with Crystal Reports 3.0 on Win XP computers. This problem
occurs on network computers only!!

After adding a new database to an existing Envelope Report, I get error
20533 (Unable to open database) on network computers but not on the computer
on which the actual reportfile and database reside.

If I add a folder (which contains the new database) to the network
computers, the report runs just fine.

I have researched google but can't find a related problem or answer. This
started happening after I upgraded from VB4 to VB5 (VB5 has Crystal 4.6). I
have to use crystal 3.0 because crystal 4.5 was causing me to get error 20544.

Couldn't get any responce from the Crystal group. Maybe someone here can
give me a clue!

Please help!!

From: David Youngblood on
"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I am using VB5 with Crystal Reports 3.0 on Win XP computers. This problem
> occurs on network computers only!!
>
> After adding a new database to an existing Envelope Report, I get error
> 20533 (Unable to open database) on network computers but not on the
> computer
> on which the actual reportfile and database reside.
>
> If I add a folder (which contains the new database) to the network
> computers, the report runs just fine.
>
> I have researched google but can't find a related problem or answer. This
> started happening after I upgraded from VB4 to VB5 (VB5 has Crystal 4.6).
> have to use crystal 3.0 because crystal 4.5 was causing me to get error
> 20544.
>
> Couldn't get any responce from the Crystal group. Maybe someone here can
> give me a clue!
>
> Please help!!

Are you setting the report and source paths via code? In 4.6, these are set
using ReportFileName and DataFiles(0). Personally, I keep the reports on the
local machine, and always use UNC paths for the database. I store the
database path in an INI file.

Example,

sTitle = StrConv(sFilename, vbProperCase)
With rptCrystal
'* Set report path and title
.ReportFileName = sPath
.WindowTitle = sTitle

'* Set report data source, password and title.
.DataFiles(0) = frmOptions.FilePath(mtrDbsTracking)
'.LogonInfo(0) = "dsn=;uid=;pwd=mtrreport;dsq=" '* not used on this db
.Formulas(1) = "Report_Title = ""* " & UCase(frmOptions.CompanyName) & "
*"""

'* Set report window size and position
.WindowLeft = Screen.Width * 0.025 / Screen.TwipsPerPixelX
.WindowTop = Screen.Height * 0.025 / Screen.TwipsPerPixelY
.WindowHeight = Screen.Height * 0.9 / Screen.TwipsPerPixelY
.WindowWidth = .WindowHeight * 1.2

'* Execute report (window)
.Destination = 0
End With

From: David Youngblood on
"Dennis Rose" <DennisRose(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...
>I am using VB5 with Crystal Reports 3.0 on Win XP computers. This problem
> occurs on network computers only!!
>
> After adding a new database to an existing Envelope Report, I get error
> 20533 (Unable to open database) on network computers but not on the
> computer
> on which the actual reportfile and database reside.
>
> If I add a folder (which contains the new database) to the network
> computers, the report runs just fine.
>
> I have researched google but can't find a related problem or answer. This
> started happening after I upgraded from VB4 to VB5 (VB5 has Crystal 4.6).
> have to use crystal 3.0 because crystal 4.5 was causing me to get error
> 20544.
>
> Couldn't get any responce from the Crystal group. Maybe someone here can
> give me a clue!

BTW, I would suspect that the reports would need to be re-saved with the
CR4.6 format to use the CR4.6 control. If you haven't tried it, you might
may copies of the report files, open them in the CR4.6 editor, correct any
errors, and re-save.

David

From: Dennis Rose on
Thats exactly what I did and that is where I got Error 20544(which didn't
make any sense). I had to back off to CR3.0 to get past the 20544 error.
Then I began to get error 20533. The new DB has only 1 record with 20
fields. It seems like a network path issue since it works OK on the computer
with the DB but I don't understand why I don't get a "Db not found" message
instead of the 20533(unable to open dB) message??

From: dwy on
"Dennis Rose" wrote:

> Thats exactly what I did and that is where I got Error 20544(which didn't
> make any sense). I had to back off to CR3.0 to get past the 20544 error.
> Then I began to get error 20533. The new DB has only 1 record with 20
> fields. It seems like a network path issue since it works OK on the computer
> with the DB but I don't understand why I don't get a "Db not found" message
> instead of the 20533(unable to open dB) message??

I had tested my CR4.6 yesterday by specifying a non-existant database to the
DataFiles(0) property. The error code was outside the normal 20k, something
like -192k. Error message (paraphrased): Action of Crystal Report failed to
initialize.

David