From: Prodiance on
We have a customer who is receiving this message sporadically
throughout the day and would like us to help resolve the issue.

-----------
#50071: Unable to connect to the database SharePoint_Config on
ecmdbdev. Check the database connection information and make sure
that the database server is running.

Unable to connect to database. Check database connection information
and make sure the database server is running.

Possible mismatch between the reported error with code = 0x8107053b
and message: "Unable to connect to database. Check database
connection information and make sure the database server is running."
and the returned error with code 0x81020024.
------------

I found an MSDN blog that references a similar problem with WSS 2.0
but indicated that most of the portential reasons have been fixed in
WSS 3.0.

http://blogs.msdn.com/cgideon/archive/2006/05/24/605454.aspx

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a way to stop the error
from occurring? Even better, which possible factors mentioned in that
blog article are still valid for WSS 3.0?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jeff

From: BeigeBond on
I've seen it. Looking at the list, it seems a general "server too
busy" is the main issue. That's been my experience, anyway. When
something is eating up a lot of the CPU, you'll get connect problems.
A lot depends on their configuration, hardware, etc. When it's
occurring, and so on.

Try running performance monitor and watching the server for a period
of time. Watch the Application Event log to see if some service is
having a problem. Ask about their backup schedule (CommVault seems to
cause this problem).

The best configuration (in my opinion) is to have SharePoint on one
server and SQL on another, but a lot of the installs I see everything
is one one box so they compete for memory.

Good luck!