From: pumpkin12903 on
I keep getting error 80070005 when trying to update Windows XP. I've gotten
rid of cookies, temporary files, ran spyware killer, and still have the
problem. I have NO WUtemp file! Have a windowsupdate file and it has
NOTHING in it. So I can't do the other fixes as there's nothing in the
files. I set it so I could see hidden folders more than once and no WUtemp
file anywhere. I've had some viruses in the past several weeks, could these
have emptied the windowsupdate file and got rid of the wutemp file? I have
anti-virus but wonder if they did damage before they were found. I'm trying
to avoid having to do a total restart. Thanks!
From: Taurarian on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;836926
Updates from the Windows Update Web site are not installed and an "Error
0x80070005:
Access is denied" error message is logged to the Windows Update.log file

This error message may occur if you have insufficient permissions to the
Windows Update registry keys. The WindowsUpdate.log file will also read
errors 0x80070005 and 0x80080005.
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/showarticle.aspx?articleid=13&ln=en

From: Pat Walters [MSFT] on
"pumpkin12903",

Please run the following query on your registry:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: cmd
4. Press <Enter> or click OK
5. In the command prompt window, type: cd \ <Enter> (note: keyboard keys
are surrounded by <>, so please do not type E-n-t...)
6. Type or copy and paste the following:
REG QUERY
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace
7. You should receive the following error. If you do, proceed to step 10:
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or
value.
8. If, instead, you get a large list of entries, starting with the
following, then proceed with step 9:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\T
race
Flags REG_DWORD 0x2
Level REG_DWORD 0x3
LogFile REG_SZ DebugTrace.log
Columns REG_DWORD 0xe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\T
race\Agent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\T
race\AU

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\T
race\AUClient
9. In the command window, type:
REG DELETE
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Trace /f
<Enter>

Register a whole group of Windows Update related libraries:
10. Select and Copy all of the following between dotted lines, but not the
lines themselves:
rem --------------8<-----------------
NET STOP WUAUSERV
NET STOP BITS
regsvr32 /s cdm.dll
regsvr32 /s bitsprx2.dll
regsvr32 /s bitsprx3.dll
regsvr32 /s iuengine.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgr.dll
regsvr32 /s qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml2.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll
regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuauserv.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll

NET START BITS
NET START WUAUSERV
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s initpki.dll
regsvr32 /s mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /s wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /s dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /s gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /s cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
echo \\ Completed registering //
rem --------------8<-------------------
a. Confirm that you want to create a new file.
b. In the notepad window, paste the copy from step 9a above:
i. Click Edit, then Paste or
ii. Press <Ctrl> + <V> keys (the plus sign means to hold down the
<Ctrl> key and press the <V>.)
c. Save this file by pressing <Ctrl> + <S> or click Edit and then
Save.
d. Close the notepad
e. In the command window, type: registerit.cmd <Enter> Wait for the
all of the files to be registered.

Verify that services are started:
12. Click Start
13. Click Run
14. type services.msc
15. Click OK or type the <Enter> key
16. In the Services window, look for Background Intelligent Transfer Service
17. Double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service
18. In the middle of the Properties window, make sure the Startup type is
set to "Manual" or "Automatic"
19. Just below the Startup type, verify that the Service status is set to
"Started"
20. If it is not, click the Start button, and wait for the service to start.
Verify this starts.
21. Repeat steps 5-9 with the Automatic Updates service, but make sure this
is set to "Automatic".
22. Close the properties window
23. Close the Services window

Try Windows Update again, and report the failure if you hit one. Try to
install just one update. Here's how:
We need a little more information. Would you mind running through an
attempted installation on the Windows Update website and sending us back the
results? Here's how:

On Windows XP:
1. Close all Internet browsers
2. Open a single Internet Explorer window.
3. In the Internet Explorer window, click Tools
4. Click Windows Update
5. When you reach the Windows Update site, click Custom Install
6. click Review and Install Updates
7. When presented with multiple updates, uncheck all of them except for one
update (your choice)
8. Look down at the System clock and note the time. Let the minute move
forward one, so that there is no other activity associated with this
attempt.
9. Click Install. Wait for Windows Update to fail. If it succeeds, reply
back and let us know.
10. Assuming it failed, Click Start
11. Click Run
12. Type: %WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log
13. Press <Enter> or Click OK
14. When the log opens, scroll down to the hour and minute you memorized in
step 8.
15. Starting at the beginning of the first entry for that minute, click and
drag down and to the right selecting the rest of the log.
16. Click Edit, then Copy, or just press the <CTRL> and <C> keys.
18. When that window opens, Tell us what update you attempted to install,
and where it failed from our observation.
19. After this, on a new line, state the following and press <Enter>: Log
entries follow:
20. Place the cursor on the line under the entry from step 19, and then
click Edit, then Paste, or just press the <CTRL> and <V> keys.
21. The log entries copied in steps 15-16 should have copied into your
posting.
22. Send it to us, and let us take a look at this failure.

Sincerely,

Pat Walters [MSFT]