From: Peter13 on
I have Vista Home premium 32 bit SP2 v6 with internet explorer 7. There is
something blocking me from getting needed updates for Vista as well as
redirecting IE to scam sites and blocking Microsoft webpages about the update
error 80072efe. For three months I did not have an internet connection.

I've been reconnected for a couple days now but after adding the latest
updates for vista there were some obvious viruses, trojans, and various other
adware and infections. After a System Restore I once again downloaded an
updated Trend Micro Antivirus and Vista updates.

Many symptoms went away but these are what remain. Five updates fail to
install - cumulative security update for IE7, three security updates for
windows vista, and one update for windows vista. They all state error
80072efe although my internet is connected and several other updates were
successful in installing. When searching for help my IE was redirected to
spam sites.

Finding some Microsoft.com threads about the issue via indirectly searching
for the home site, I cannot open these threads- the webpage gives me a "Page
Load Error- Connection Interrupted, The connection to the server was reset
while the page was loading. " Although I can access any other webpages. My
antivirus scan showed I was lacking important updates to prevent my IE from
being controlled.

What's going on here? If I could get those updates would that solve the
problem? Is the malware preventing me from getting these updates? -This post
is done through a friend who does not get an error when accessing the forums.
Thank you!
From: Ǝиçεl on
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941>

I recommend downloading and installing
MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Reboot
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>

Reboot
-=-

Both free versions of MBAM and SAS are on-demand scanners and offer no
'real-time' protection. Keep them installed and use them as
'second-opinion' scanner which is purposely (by design) recommended by
their respective authoяs.
-=-

Please let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains
-=-

Good luck

Ǝиçεl

From: Peter13 on
I installed both programs and did both scans including the restarts, it took
a while and found a few things but did not solve the previously stated
problems - my internet explorer being redirected to harmful websites and
blocked from downloading the updates that are supposed to fix the problem.
Everything is still the same.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Ǝиçεl on
Hi Peter,

I'd recommend resubmitting your post here:

Staяt a help ticket.

Help and Support

<http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=1&gprid=9860>

OR

I'd яecommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.

Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
security-patch related issues. This help extends to spyware removal as well.

Other than that, I'm about out of ideas, so good luck with it.

Let us know maybe someone else can conjuяe up something else to try.
-=-