From: BillAllen on
I just ran a manual Microsoft Update and all the high priority updates were
successful. However, two "Software, Optional" updates failed. They are the
following:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003
and Windows XP x86 (KB976569) - Error Code: 0x643

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003
and Windows XP x86 (KB976570) - Error Code: 0x643

Looking back through my Automatic Update history, it appears these two
updates failed a number of time previously too.

My operating environment is:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

I am also attached to a Windows Home Server (approximately Windows Home
Server 2003 SP 1), an HP487 server.

What can I do to get these .Net Framework updates successfully applied?

Bill Allen
From: Ǝиçεl on
Hello Bill,

See Peter Foldes reply in this thяead helps.

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&p=1&tid=68517597-aeac-4b60-b74e-ac56acf7f433&mid=0f7a9954-9fff-4a98-a353-a28123695a02>

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck
-=-

From: dancerthatneedsservicefromyou on
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info on the two non fix items, but I did not receive
instuctions on how to fix the problems which I do not know how to fix. Can
you help?

Thanks, Alex

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
First run the Fix It in this KB article & see if the update will install
after doing so:

How to fix MSI software update registration corruption issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187

If no joy, see...

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

Then proceed per the following:

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb00318785.aspx

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer
Cleanup utility), reinstall all .NET Framework versions (but only the ones
you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the download links on the page
then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.

What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/03/07/8108332.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)