From: bigmac on
Can anyone help?
Automatic update has been trying to install installer 3.1 for quite a while
without success, I have just tried to install it manually to no avail. There
is no error message shown but when I check on the update website the reason
shown for the failure is the Error Code: 0x8007F117

Does anyone know what this means and the remidy?

Thanks Steve
From: Robert Aldwinckle on
"bigmac" <bigmac(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help?
> Automatic update has been trying to install installer 3.1 for quite a while
> without success, I have just tried to install it manually to no avail. There
> is no error message shown but when I check on the update website the reason
> shown for the failure is the Error Code: 0x8007F117
>
> Does anyone know what this means and the remidy?

It's possible that the low order two bytes of the code more commonly have
a meaning associated with their decimal equivalent (61719).

Based on that assumption we find this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/deployment/winupdte.mspx

<quote>
61719
STATUS_BUILD_TYPE_NOT_DETERMINED

</quote>

(MSN search for
61719 site:microsoft.com
)

So, if that is at all what the code is indicating it suggests that you have
a bad update or perhaps are missing some expected pre-requisites
or are missing some necessary support software. Etc.

Look in the install log for the update for some context to this error code
for more clues.

> Thanks Steve

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle