From: PPCO on
I have XP Home; I am getting error 1706 when using a limited user account and
it tries to access my MS Office 2000 cd, which I put in. However, it does not
finish the install.
I have run the group policy procedures described here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/258847/en-us (I had to download
a GPedit add-on for XP home).

It still does not work. Any ideas? Thanks
From: PPCO on
I forgot one other detail--the problem only happens on the limited user
account when I try to access a file shortcut on the desktop. If I open up for
example MS access and go directly to the file, I can open it. I need it on
the desktop however

From: PPCO on
One more detail: I'm saving Group Polices Changes to Console1 under
administrative tools. Is there another place I should be saving it to?

From: Peter Foldes on
This has nothing to do with anything outside of Office. Repost to the Office
newsgroup please

Meantime see the following
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297834

--
Peter

From: VanguardLH on
PPCO wrote:

> PPCO wrote:
>
>> I have XP Home; I am getting error 1706 when using a limited user account
>> to open Office 2000 files and it tries to access my MS Office 2000 cd,
>> which I put in. However, it does not finish the install.
>
> I forgot one other detail--the problem only happens on the limited user
> account ...

You cannot install software under a limited account. You will have to
login under an admin-level account. In the Home edition, you have to
reboot Windows into its safe mode to get at the admin account.

My guess you accessed a function which was configured to install on
first-use and now you made that first use. The program then asks for the
installation media and will attempt to install that first-use function.
However, it is installing software and you are only under a limited
account.