From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
80070424 - ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

> ...The name of the client is Bit Torrent
> 6.3 and I didn't get this error prior to having installed this client.

If you're trying to download updates via Bit Torrent*, you're out in
la-la-land. See
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/yourself/downloads/filesharing.mspx &
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/10/06/the-cost-of-free-software.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Norm on
I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key. Last night I
uninstalled BitTorrent and cleaned the residue files and registry entries
left over from the install. Then I just completed a sys restore back to Dec
9th as the error message shows the last Windows update took place on Dec 11th
but the arror message still appears. Not sure where to go now.

From: Michael on
I've never ever run across malwarebytes asking for a key??????
Did you download it from here?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> I downloaded malwarebytes and did a scan as you said. It shows errors that
> will not be removed or repaired unless I purchase the key.

Assuming you downloaded MBAM from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php and
ONLY from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php, that's the work of your
infector, not MBAM!

System Restore is NOT going to resolve this infection!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via...

Consumer Security Support home page

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
• http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
• http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
• http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
• http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

From: Norm on
Ok Folks, here is the situation as complete as I can make it. I never had a
firewall other then Windows Firewall. I always had an Anti-virus software
running (Avast) and the definition file is updated every day. I went to the
Malware site you displayed and downloaded the free version, ran a complete
scan of my system and repaired all entries identidied, I uninstalled Bit
Torrent and cleaned the residue files did a restore and the Error Code still
appears. So is my last resort to do a complete re-installation of Vista?

By the way I do appreaciate the help you've offered.