From: suture666 on
Each time I log on, Windows Update tells me it cannot update, asks to update
the update. I click to do so and it fails and I get this code error. Anyone
seen this one. Microsoft of course tells me to check the seller (Dell) They
say Windows. And so it goes.
--
Michael
Pastor
From: MowGreen [MVP] on
suture666 wrote:
> Each time I log on, Windows Update tells me it cannot update, asks to update
> the update. I click to do so and it fails and I get this code error. Anyone
> seen this one. Microsoft of course tells me to check the seller (Dell) They
> say Windows. And so it goes.

8007370C ERROR_SXS_IDENTITY_DUPLICATE_ATTRIBUTE
An identity contains two definitions for the same attribute.

Download and *save* either the 32 bit [x86] or 64 bit [x64] version of
the latest Windows Update Agent [WUA] from the links here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

If you're not sure which one to download, read the " How to determine
whether you are running a 32-bit or a 64-bit edition of Windows " section.

When the download completes close *all* open browsers and programs.
Move the downloaded WUA to the root drive [ the drive where Windows is
installed to, usually, C:\ ]. Do NOT put it in a folder, just move it to
the root drive [ usually, C:\ ]

Either completely and *totally* disable the installed antivirus/security
suite or do a Clean Boot so that it's not interfering with the
installation of the WUA - How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a
clean boot in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Once the system is in the Clean Boot state, click the Start orb > in the
Search field type in command
*Right* click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as administrator'
Follow the prompts to allow it to run.
At the prompt type in the following pressing Enter after *each* command

net stop wuauserv
cd c:\
c:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /wuforce
net start wuauserv
exit

NOTE: The above command is for 32-bit editions of Windows installed to
C:\ , for 64-bit, change the command to windowsupdateagent30-x64.exe
If the root drive is a different letter, use that letter.

Restart the system and see if it can update now.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten