From: jen on
"Jim" <jjnewhall(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>I followed the directions until it said it could not find
> %windir%$NtUninstallKB834707$s puninstspuninst.exe
> I hate this operating syystem

I see in another of your posts you have XP Pro. Did you try in the past
to update to SP2? And what was the "bug reporting progam" you used
previously? Try this:

Article ID : 888162
Last Review June 13, 2006
Revision : 6.2

SUMMARY
This article discusses how to recover a computer that reports an error
after you apply the security update MS04-038
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-038.mspx).

SYMPTOMS
When you install security update MS04-038
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-038.mspx) on
Microsoft Windows XP, you receive the following error message after your
computer starts:
*Explorer.EXE - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point
SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library
SHLWAPI.dll*

CAUSE
This error occurs when MS04-038 is installed on a computer with a failed
Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installation. Typically, if Windows XP
SP2 installation fails, an automatic rollback occurs that returns the
computer to the pre-Windows XP SP2 installation state. If automatic
rollback does not occur, the service pack recovery process will
partially uninstall Windows XP SP2 after you restart your computer. (For
example, automatic rollback may not occur if a power failure occurs
during Windows XP SP2 installation.) After you restart the computer
again, you receive a message that prompts you to use Add or Remove
Programs in Control Panel to manually remove the remnants of the failed
installation.

If you do not follow this recommendation, and you do not use Add or
Remove Programs to remove the remnants of the failed installation, your
computer will have pre-Windows XP SP2 files, and your registry will
contain Windows XP SP2 information.

If your computer has pre-Windows XP SP2 files and your registry contains
Windows XP SP2 information, Windows Update
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) or Automatic Updates offers the
Windows XP SP2 version of the MS04-038
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-038.mspx)
security update.

RESOLUTION
To recover your computer, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer and log on as you typically do.

Note If your computer will not start correctly, start the computer in
Safe mode. For additional information, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the
Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
2.When you receive the error message, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to open Task
Manager. You can safely ignore any additional error messages that may
appear.
3.On the File menu, click New Task (Run...).
4.In the Open box, type control appwiz.cpl, and then click OK. You can
safely ignore any additional error messages that may appear.

Note If the Add or Remove Programs tool (Appwiz.cpl) does not open, type
the following line in the New Task (Run...) box to remove the Internet
Explorer fix, and then go to step 5:
%windir%\$NtUninstallKB834707$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
5.In the Add or Remove Programs window, click Windows XP Hotfix -
KB834707, click Remove, and then follow the instructions.
6.When the Finish button becomes available, click Finish, and then let
your computer to restart, even if it seems that the removal process is
not complete. You can safely ignore any messages about additional
software or hotfixes that are installed during this process.

Warning Although your computer may successfully start without error
messages, your computer is still in an incomplete Windows XP SP2 state.
You must complete the remaining steps and reinstall Windows XP SP2.
7.After your computer restarts, click Start, and then click Control
Panel.
8.Click Add or Remove Programs, click Windows XP Service Pack 2, click
Remove, and then follow the instructions. If you receive a message about
software that you may have installed after you installed Windows XP SP2,
make a note of the titles. You may have to reinstall these products
after you reinstall Windows XP SP2.

Note If you cannot access Add or Remove Programs, use Task Manager as
described in steps 1, 2, and 3. Remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 by
typing the following in the New Task (Run...) box:
%windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
9.After your computer restarts, visit the Windows Update
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) Web site. Reinstall Windows XP
SP2.

For information about how to install Windows XP SP2, and for steps that
you can take to help make sure that Windows XP installs successfully,
visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx)
10.After Windows XP SP2 has successfully installed, visit the Windows
Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) Web site and install any
critical updates.
If this procedure does not work, you can perform an in-place
reinstallation. For additional information, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
315341 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/) How to perform an
in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Back to the top Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
Q1: I do not think my computer is in an "incomplete Windows XP SP2
state." How can I know for sure?

A1:. After you successfully remove Windows XP Hotfix - KB834707, use one
of the following methods to determine whether your computer is in an
incomplete Windows XP SP2 state.

Method 1
1.Check Add or Remove Programs for the presence of Windows XP SP2. If
Windows XP SP2 is listed, go to step 2. If Windows XP Service Pack 2 is
not listed, Windows XP Service Pack 2 is not installed.
2.Determine the version of the Lsass.exe file that is in the
%Windir%\System32 folder. To do this:
1.Click Start, click Search, and then click All Files and Folders.
2.In the All or part of the file name box, type
%windi