From: rondor on

I know - this is an old problem but still, I can't overcome it:

A year ago I have stared receiving the above application error when I
navigate to folders containing AVI files.

Dismissing the dialog is followed by an apparent Windows Explorer
crash
and restart.
================================
The solutions I found in several sites are as follows:

The WinXP file version 6.02.4131.0 *has* the ordinal 6880. Therefore,
you've installed poor software installing an older version of that
system
file. If you're lucky, that copy was installed in a program folder and
can be deleted. When done, re-register the WinXP system file:
Start Run: regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\MFC42.DLL
=================================
Well, seems i'm not lucky after all..
i found a few MFC42.DLL files with above version.
I renamed 4-5 files that seemed potentially harmful (under
IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS\Utility, IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS\AUDIO, WINDOWS\SOFTWARE
DISTRIBUTION, WINDOWS\$NINSTALL) left the one under System32 and then
re-registered as above ---NADA!! same problem.

Is there any creative idea?
was it enough to rename or should i delete/remove from their
directories?

BTW, for the time being, i'm using another file manager instead of the
original Explorer (i use xplorer2) and it doesn't seem to care about
this bloody MFC42 problem...

Thanks

--
rondor
From: Tim Meddick on
Download a replacement mfc42.dll (xp version: 6.2.4131.0 ) and, as before,
re-register it by issuing the command :

regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\System32\MFC42.DLL

After copying the file to that location.

(*NB make sure WinXP File Protection does not overwrite the newer file with
the old one - if it does - turn off WFP temporarily and delete
%SystemRoot%\system32\dllcache\mfc42.dll)

Download a replacement WinXP mfc42.dll (6.2.4131.0) at :
http://www.4shared.com/file/WXoeCBSY/mfc42.html

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: undisclosed on

:smile: Hi Tim,
Tnx a lot -
I'm not around my comp the next two days but it seems like a good
advice - Ron

--
ro-do
From: undisclosed on

:mad: Hi Tim,
Dont have good news:
I downloaded the new file as you suggested.
Tried to copy it to system32 - it didn't let me overwrite the old pne.
I followed microsoft support hints and coppied it to dllcache
directory, overwriting the old one there and then, moved out the
original file from system32. WFP immediately coppied (haha - i tricked
him...) the file from the dllcache directory so then I registered it as
you suggested (and got a success message) and thought it was OK -- alas
it was NOT!! everything is the same meaning, i just browse with the
cursor above AVI files in file manager - the explorer crashes..!
Any idea?
Tnx

--
ro-do
From: Elmo on
undisclosed wrote:
> :mad: Hi Tim,
> Don't have good news:
> I downloaded the new file as you suggested.
> Tried to copy it to system32 - it didn't let me overwrite the old one.
> I followed Microsoft support hints and copied it to dllcache
> directory, overwriting the old one there and then, moved out the
> original file from system32. WFP immediately copied (haha - I tricked
> him...) the file from the dllcache directory. So then I registered it as
> you suggested (and got a success message) and thought it was OK -- alas
> it was NOT! Everything is the same meaning, I just browse with the
> cursor above AVI files in file manager - Explorer crashes..!
> Any idea?
> Tnx

You might start with #5 below and work your way up the list.

Some software you installed to handle .avi files, (possibly DivX) is
probably the cause of the error message.

Idea #1. Look for MFC42.DLL in other locations, such as the software
you installed about the time all this started. Delete or replace these
copies with the new version.

Idea #2. Place an older version of MFC42.DLL in the folder where the
original software resides. The older .dll should be within the original
install (CD?) for the software.

Idea #3. Install another program for handling .avi and similar files.
Then try the original software, if you prefer it.

Idea #4. From a Google search:
http://www.hm2k.com/posts/my-avi-files-crash-explorerexe

"KT said,

August 31, 2007 @ 1:30 am

I found it!!!!

I have had this problem for AGES….

All I had to do was UNINSTALL K-Lite Codecs… When it was uninstalling…
It prompted me saying there was missing codec files that it could not
uninstall, and do I want to remove the registry entry? One was divx.dll
in the windows32 dir, and there were some cucusoft ones too.

Now Explorer isn’t crashing…. Wow! So easy! I suggest if anyone else has
this problem, uninstall ALL your video codec programs first, then
reinstall one good one (like vlc!)"

Idea #5. http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v31/vic31.htm

--

Joe =o)