From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
[Dust my house, fer cryin' out loud! No, wait, don't: Then I won't know
where they ashtrays go.]

Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all Office
updates or just when attempting to install them manually using the
downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.

MowGreen wrote:
> The 4th tip is DOH ? What does DOH signify ... Dust Our House, then
> apply update ? I hear Sinofsky wants that 'feature' in Office 15. <g>
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> DOH!
>>
>> MowGreen wrote:
>>> Tip: If this is occurring in Windows Vista, disable User Account Control
>>> (UAC), install the updates, reenable UAC.

<snipperooni>

From: tnb2005 on
I also was unable to complete the update, getting error code 646. The
downloads to my computer are completed when I shut down for the evening.
Tonight I went to Windows Update (from the start menu) selected the updates
and the download was successful. I don't know if it was a fluke that it
worked, but this time it did.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
["Another county heard from..."]

From: MowGreen on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> Were you advising disabling UAC prior to attempting to install all
> Office updates or just when attempting to install them manually using
> the downloaded installer? I should hope you mean the latter.

For the automatically downloaded updates. If no joy, do the full file
dance with UAC temp off. No joy ? If it's a Security update, call in.
BTW ...

> I also was unable to complete the update, getting error code 646. The
> downloads to my computer are completed when I shut down for the evening.
> Tonight I went to Windows Update (from the start menu) selected the updates
> and the download was successful. I don't know if it was a fluke that it
> worked, but this time it did.

Has the 646 error *finally* been fixed by the Office PG ? Be still my
beating ______ .

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: HBEd on
I am receiving the same error code 646, last month (5-2010) it was those same
two updates. Now it appears it is any updated related to Office 2007. All the
updates for Windows 7 (x86) install properly. It is just the office updates
effected.

Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB982308)
Security Update for Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007 (KB979441)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB972363)
Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 (KB982124)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Visio Viewer 2007 (KB973709)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB982135)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969559)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969613)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB972581)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB974234)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982312)
Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB982331)
Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB974561)
Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)