From: FlyingFatality on
My Windows Updates have been failing to install since 12-6-2009. I have tried
anything and everything to get it to work and nothing helps. I've been told
it could be an old firewall that I can't get to, conficker, a program running
against it, that it's the Vista program itself... many other things. I don't
know what I should do anymore.
From: Ǝиçεl on
When requesting help in a newsgroup or forum, please state your full Windows
version, edition and service pack level, and perhaps what other antivirus,
Security suite and firewall or antimalware software you may have installed.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>

Windows Update error 80072efd
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/93b6ab71-8b21-4b50-b40e-abb80eba29271033.mspx>

See also
What is a firewall?
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/4673a386-2e73-4b7a-a333-6f826a3d44b41033.mspx>

Understanding Windows Firewall settings
<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/230d8c47-ee63-47e1-a1f6-a1d38b07dbee1033.mspx>

Oh--about Conficker:

Go to this link:

<http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html>
It is self-explanatory--but if you see 6 Security-vendor symbols in the
chart, you are in good shape.

Run the Malicious Software Removal tool
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007>

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-
PS
Once you've received a correct answer to your question, either from a
Microsoft employee, an MVP, or the community in general, please reply that
the solution has been answered and what solved it. This step is important,
since it lets other people benefit from your posts.
-=-

From: MowGreen on
Use these steps to see if a proxy server entry has been left over from
the "old firewall". If one is showing after you run
netsh winhttp show proxy , then *run* the reset command shown in Step4-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941

" Remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration

To remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration
for Windows Vista, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. Right-click cmd.exe in the Programs list, and then click Run as
administrator.

Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or click Continue.
3. Type the following command and then press Enter:
netsh winhttp show proxy
Note The proxy setting is listed next to Proxy Server. If there
is no proxy server, Direct Access <no proxy server> is shown in the
Command Prompt window.
4. To remove the listed proxy setting, type the following command
and then press Enter:
netsh winhttp reset proxy
download and install the updates again. "

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com