From: TonyM on
This worked on the two Vista machines that we have.

1) Create a folder on C:\ drive called 'WUAGENT'. Use this directory to
store the Windows Update Agent file (see next step).

2) Go to the link below, and download 'WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe' to the
C:\WUAGENT directory:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

3) Open the Command Prompt and forced a re-install of the Windows Update
Agent with the following command:

C:\WUAGENT\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce

4) Try to re-install the update

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> 80072EFE ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED
> Some network problem or the server/proxy reset the socket connection
>
> A manual installation should not have either of the above issues.
> To be clear, you manually downloaded the update and it failed to install
> or you tried to manually install the update that was downloaded by
> Automatic Updates [Windows Updates, in Vista] ?
>
> Are there any other updates listed for XML 4.0 SP2 in Add/Remove
> Programs in the Control Panel ?
>
> Is the native Vista firewall being used or is there a 3rd party firewall
> installed ?
>

> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
>

> Hugh wrote:
>
> > Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
> > This file has failed to install through automatic updates. I have tried
> > twice to update it manually.
> > Both attempts failed.I have Vista Premium
> > Error details: Code 80072EFE

Pages: 1
Prev: WSUS 3.0 Errors
Next: error code 0x80072EFD